Wiring a ceiling light fitting

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only helpful thing to do, and the only responsible thing to do, is to help people to acquire the knowledge and understanding which they MUST acquire, not to just use them as a remote controlled device. The only helpful and responsible thing to do is to continually press home the message that there is absolutely no acceptable alternative to acquiring that knowledge before they start actually doing things.
We are more than well aware of your idealistic (and well-intentioned) view. Do I take it that you feel that no question of the form "how do I do X?" should ever be answered, other than with advice about how to gain education, knowledge and understanding?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I don't see that the two are necessarily mutually exclusive.

Why can't "How do I do X?" be answered by "here is how X works"?

Why does it have to be "do A then B then C" which does not teach the questioner any understanding, and does nothing to help them grow?

Why can't "How do I do X?" be answered by "here is how X works"?
It often can, and when I answer questions, I do attempt to include specific explanations - which does not seem to be something you often do.

What I don't do, and what I do not feel is realistic or helpful, is to answer a question about a real-time specific issue by posting an extensive reading list which many OPs would take to imply that they have to undertake weeks, months or years of studying before they can get their living room lights (or whatever) working.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back