2 new showers with different problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Myself and my girlfriend have just moved into a new house in Lingfield, Surrey. Its not a mainbuilder but a barn conversion with a new mains water supply that is more powerful than a… very powerful thing… Anyway, we are having major major trouble with both of our showers and have had the builders back trying to sort it out but the problem is the guy who is sorting it didn’t install either of them.

We have a Baxi combi boiler, its huge and powers all 4 rooms no problem with hardly any waiting for warm water. We have two showers (don’t know the make) one upstairs and one downstairs. The downstairs one worked fine but then after a week couldn’t heat the water up properly, however after myself opening a cold water tap on the sink it worked fine so I figure the cold water pressure is too high. The shower upstairs fires out cold water like a water cannon then goes “clunk” then loses pressure and spits out only hot water.

Im a chartered mechanical engineer and my thoughts were the shower upstairs is piped the wrong way round, ie cold to hot and hot to cold so the shower thermostat goes screwy, but that’s only a guess.

The one downstairs obviously needs a pressure reduction valve on the cold which the guy says he fitted (a little green plastic thing) yesterday but now we cannot open the shower water fully (as if there is a mechanical stop fitted to the tap) and it now trickles out water worse than a 4kw electric piece of rubbish.

Can different pressure reduction devices be fitted? Did he even fit a pressure reduction device? Ive only seen ones that screw onto pipework before. Has he fitted a mechanical stop to the shower as well??

Any advice is hugely welcomed. Ps to top things off, the house across the yard has no shower probs.

Oh, both showers are mixers and i dont know water pressure which i realise isnt very helpful. Both barns have a new mains water supply and when you open any tap its like a water cannon. We dont use both showers at the same time either, only using downstairs one bc upstairs one is totally knackered.

Sponsored Links
unfortunately no pic. But it was a circular green plastic that was about the size of 2x5p stuck together. Its pattern inside was a bit like looking at a maze from above if that makes any sense??

Sponsored Links
i wish i knew exactly, i believe it was in the cold water feed though. The strange thing is that the water tap now only turns about a 1/4 of what it used to so im wondering if it was placed there as a mechanical stop...

This was the downstairs shower btw, which worked perfect with the cold sink tap running at the same time, but now hes put this restrictor in i might as well stand under a watering can.

Id check by faffing with mains isolator valve to reduce volumeflowrate but that wont make any diff as this thing is already in

yeh i know, but even though i wrote pressure earlier is it pressure problem? It wasnt a pressure reduction valve he put in, more like a reducer but if you make the pipe smaller surely that increases the pressure???

Confusing... :rolleyes:

Sounds like the cold mains pressure is too powerful for the type of mixer shower valves that you have installed. Find out the model of baxi boiler that you have and give one of the major shower manufacturers such as mira a ring and ask what new model they would recommend you install. Measure the pipe centres of the existing shower mixer beforehand and if need be , bite the bullet and change the mixer showers one at a time . Have always found the tech. helpline very useful on most of the major manufacturers provided you can give them the correct spec. it is being installed to. If you had the make of the existing mixer shower you could give that manu. a ring for advice and explain the problem. But be prepared for perhaps a 10 min. wait "as all our lines are busy at the moment ETC" Separate pressure reducing valves with either 15 or 22mm compression fittings are available from screwfix at £18.99 a go, perhaps if you'r a competent diyer you could try cutting one of these into the cold mains supply to the mixer valve that works (providing it can be accessed) :rolleyes:

Forgot to say, get rid of the other green thing , it obviously is not doing its job. Did you pay the other guy for doing that job, if so, ask for the tech. spec. or instructions of it and let him know it has not worked and what is he going to do about it. If you pay for a service you should expect a reasonable result.

screwfix catalogue 88 page 464. Have got a local store at aintree, liverpool. Free coffee macine has been stopped though. prv make is comap, but if you want to pay £33.99 you can get a honeywell one. What would you like , a fiat scudo van or a transit connect?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back