2 out of 5 radiators not heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know nothing about boilers , only some of my radiators working . 2 are Luke warm and one cold, others are hot. I thought it might be something to do with not enough water in them and a filling loop ? Not sure , I added some pics if anyone can help me

Attachments

• IMG_0208.jpeg
    IMG_0208.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0209.jpeg
    IMG_0209.jpeg
    238 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0210.jpeg
    IMG_0210.jpeg
    205.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0213.jpeg
    IMG_0213.jpeg
    271.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0212.jpeg
    IMG_0212.jpeg
    251.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0211.jpeg
    IMG_0211.jpeg
    262 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0207.jpeg
    IMG_0207.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 59
Sponsored Links
Have the rads that don't heat up ever worked well in the past ? Do they have thermostatic radiator valves ,they can stick closed and stop rad from heating ?
Have you bled the cold rad's of air ?

We only moved in a couple of months ago and this is the first time using. They have been bled.all rads have valves that seem to work apart from 1 radiator which just has the white knobs on. Can you tell from my photos if my rads top up water auto or do I have to do something ?

If water comes out of the bleed valve then the rad is obviously full of water. If you have a small tank in the loft, that will feed the rads. The large black tank in your pic appears to fill the hot water cylinder.
Show us a pic of the valves on rads that don't heat ,as well as those that do. If the rads that heat fully have a thermostatic radiator valve ( TRV) close them and see if cold rads now heat up.

Sponsored Links
Is it possible the ones which don’t work do not have enough water in them ,? And how do I fix that? I am not sure if you can tell from the photos previous which heating system I have ? Such as pressure,combi or conventional?

@arrandeep

have they worked when the boiler was changed - i assume whoever changed the boiler checked all radiators have been working OK
Can anyone help sole this problem as it does not appear to be air in the system.
How do you know have you bleed all the radiators

do you know if the old one was a pressurised system

as said it may be air in the system and need all the rads to be bleed - which i would have thought the guy replacing the boiler whould have checked

picture of the top side and back of the rad - should be a bleed nipple vlave there
if air in system when you get it all out with the bleed valve. you may need to repressurise the system - was you shown how to do that

make and model of boiler

Last edited:
I know nothing about boilers , only some of my radiators working . 2 are Luke warm and one cold, others are hot. I thought it might be something to do with not enough water in them and a filling loop ? Not sure , I added some pics if anyone can help me, 1 radiator does not have a thermostat thing on. I don’t know what system I have so if someone could enlighten me! I’m wondering if the ones which don’t work have enough water in them ?

Attachments

• IMG_0227.jpeg
    IMG_0227.jpeg
    311.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0208.jpeg
    IMG_0208.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0223.jpeg
    IMG_0223.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0213.jpeg
    IMG_0213.jpeg
    271.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0212.jpeg
    IMG_0212.jpeg
    251.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0211.jpeg
    IMG_0211.jpeg
    262 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0210.jpeg
    IMG_0210.jpeg
    205.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0209.jpeg
    IMG_0209.jpeg
    238 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0207.jpeg
    IMG_0207.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 25
i would post the pictures to this thread ,
user manual for that boiler here
i'm not a plumber and terryplumb is far more qualified
i would suggest also answering hes questions and doing his suggestion
If you have a small tank in the loft, that will feed the rads. The large black tank in your pic appears to fill the hot water cylinder.
Show us a pic of the valves on rads that don't heat ,as well as those that do. If the rads that heat fully have a thermostatic radiator valve ( TRV) close them and see if cold rads now heat up.
but i would make sure all rads are bleed
its normal in my experience that 1 radiator should not have a thermostatic valve on
and check the pressure - if a filler loop as mentioned, in the other thread is on the system
can you confirm if you have a filling look with a pressure gauge

see section 4

4 SYSTEM PRESSURE
4.1 OPEN VENTED HEATING SYSTEMS

If the boiler is fitted to an open vented system, that is a system with a header tank, the system pressurewill be maintained automatically

4.2 SEALED HEATING SYSTEMS

If this boiler is fitted to a sealed heating system, the system will be pre-pressurised. Your installer willhave fitted a pressure gauge and filling loop so that the system pressure can be monitored andadjusted as necessary.
Your installer will show you how to use the filling loop and advise you of the minimum and maximumpressure indicated on the pressure gauge.

B Check regularly that the pressure is maintained.

The ones that don’t work

Attachments

• IMG_0224.jpeg
    IMG_0224.jpeg
    241.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0225.jpeg
    IMG_0225.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0227.jpeg
    IMG_0227.jpeg
    311.4 KB · Views: 25
Ones which work

Attachments

• IMG_0223.jpeg
    IMG_0223.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0226.jpeg
    IMG_0226.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 20
I don’t know what system I have so if someone could enlighten me! I’m wondering if the ones which don’t work have enough water in them ?

are you able to answer terryplumb questions and did you try his suggestion
If you have a small tank in the loft, that will feed the rads. The large black tank in your pic appears to fill the hot water cylinder.

If it is a new house/flat to you, then assume that the radiators have to been balanced. The "TRV" at one end is effectively a thermostat of sort, but just for that radiator, so when it is warm enough (depending upon whether you have it set for cold or hot). The cover on the other end has a valve that you can partly shut off a radiator that is too close to the boiler, that way you make sure heat gets to the others. If you shut off any 4 with the other one set to max it will be really toasty. then open one other and shut the one that is hot, if you go round all of the like that you can prove if there is no blockages anywhere. Then after you know that you look at what needs to be done next. That is why Terryplumb asked you to close down the ones that are currently hot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back