2 port valve on manual open

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am waiting for an electrician to wire my stat, so for a few days I am operating my two port valve manually (the valve is already wired with a permanent live / neutral) as well as to the boiler so the only missing link is the switch wire to the valve.

My question here is, when I open the valve manually, will that trigger the signal to the boiler? I assumed it would, but it seems not. I assumed the switch live triggered the valve to open, the open valve then triggers signal to boiler. But if the opening to the valve is manual, does that not trigger a signal to boiler?

Hope this makes sense,

Cheers,
Alex

Sponsored Links
Hello Alex, a 2 port valve operates with a demand signal from a thermostat (eg room stat or cylinder stat). It has 5 wires which are generally: L,N,E,perm live and switched live. When the switch live from a thermostat is requested (demand) the motor inside the 2 port operates via the live and neutral, moving a little lever inside and makes contact with a microswitch - which is what the permanent live and switched live are connected, usually the grey wire and orange.

Some 2 ports will click the microswitch if operated in manual, but only briefly.

The manual lever is for filling purposes.

Which thermostat are you waiting one? Is the 2 port already wired up?

Last edited:
The Honeywell certainly doesn't anyway and as above, shouldn't, as purpose is for filling the system but think some do, Myson perhaps?

Thanks both. I had assumed that manually opening the valve would engage the microswitch and essentially connect the permanent live to signal to the boiler, but from what you are saying that is not the case (which supports what is happening in real life).

As this valve is currently controlling the UFH, my only option for the next few days seems to be to manually turn the valve on, manually turn the pump on (which I knew I had to do) but ALSO turn the CH on to allow the boiler to fire up.

Sponsored Links
Has the valve failed? Problem with room stat?

The valve hasn't failed. I commissioned the UFH but the sparkie isn't coming 'til Monday to wire the stat, so there is no stat essentially. I could be patient and wait for it, but was looking for ways to manually override. I thought it would just be a case of turning on the valve manually and the pump manually, but obviously now realised it doesn't fire up the boiler...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back