2 port valve wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two port valves controlling water and heating. One of the valves (water) when closed is still sending a live to the boiler and pump. The micro switch must be sticking. I noticed that the orange wires are connected to permanent live and the grey wires to boiler/pump. According to the actuator diagram they should be the other way round. Has this caused the problem I am having with the micro switch or doesn't it matter. I have swapped the wires round. Or is it that the actuator has come to the end of it's life and is ready for changing. The make of the valves is Ikon, part of a Travis Perkins control pack in 2001 when the house was built. The system is oil fired and I have lived in the house for 2 years.

Sponsored Links
Industry standard wiring is grey to permanent live and orange to switched live.

In practice as these are only each side of the microswitch it will not make any difference. You need a new valve head if it is a detachable head type.

looks like a new actuator is reqd, never seen/heard of "ikon" valves, so if you can get a replacement head I dont know - if not whole valve I'm afraid

Ok thanks for the quick response. The head is detachable, I'll visit my local Travis Perkins for a replacement. It doesn't stick every time and when it does a gentle tap on the cover opens the microswitch.

Just a thought. When the switch sticks and both valves are closed the pump and boiler are still running. Will this cause any damage to either?

Thanks in advance

David

Sponsored Links
squonky2005";p="1007550 said:
I have two port valves controlling water and heating. One of the valves (water) when closed is still sending a live to the boiler and pump. The micro switch must be sticking.

Hi mate. I've nevr heard of these valves either, only ever had Honeywell myself, but how do you know the valve is actually closed? just a thought?

your system as it is an s plan will probably have a bypass valve so this should allow the pumped water from the boiler to circulate so will not cause any damage.

The valves have a position indicator - A for closed and B for open. the one with the faulty switch returns to A - valve closed when cylinder stat reaches temp.

so if the cyl stat is satisfied then it is correct for the valve to close.

so it's not faulty then? sorry mate i'm just trying to help, sorry if i'm confusing u!

With 2 2 port valves there should be a by-pass fitted, after the pump and before either valve, so the pump has somewhere to pump through.

Ideally to todays standards this should be an auto by-pass so it only opens when needed.

totally agree. the bypass circuit, a short piece of pipe usually, is fitted just after the pump and after the last return (which should be from the hot water cylinder).

now most, if not all are of the automatic type so they only open when trv's or motorised valves close down (open by a spring action when the pressure builds up).

some boilers also now have a pump overrun and a bypass cicuit installed inside the boiler casing.

so no damage will come to the pump/boiler heat exchanger, etc if the motorised valve's trvs, etc all close.

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated. The boiler has a bypass circuit included and there is a also a short pipe from the pump with a valve on it going to the return from the cylinder.

I have also taken the Ikon valve apart and cleaned the switch. Everything seems to be working ok at present. Boiler and pump switching off when valve closes.

Regards David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back