2 Radiators cool and some others warm - pump ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Nov 2012 had new boiler fitted by Gas board and 4 thermo valves in 4 bedrooms also a Magnetic filter in circuit.

When work completed all radiators were piping hot, now two radiators are cold and a few others not as hot as should be.

Turned all radiators off bar the furthermost cold radiator to force water/air through. The feed pipe is hot to the rad, but rad is still cold (new rad 3 mths old). All the rads have been bled with no air. All the hot rads have their valves closed and reopened enough to allow enough flow to get hot.

Hot water is piping hot. Pump is running and motorised valve is fully open also both sides IN/OUT are hot. But pump 3 speed motor body is hot and is already at No. 3 speed.

In circuit :-

Boiler - Worcester Greenstar Ri

Hotwater tank in airing cupboard - landing

Grundfos pump (unknow spec - no plate/label - airing cupboard - landing)

4 - 1200 singles (bedrooms)
2 - 600 singles ( hall and downstairs toilet)
1 - 600 double (lounge)
1 - 1800 double (kitchen/diner)
1 - 2400 single (lounge)
1 - 1200 high towel rail (bathroom)

As far I'm aware the system was powerflushed and agents used before and after the new boiler being fitted. The system bar the one 1800 double rad is some 28years old.

I suspect the pump ???

Thanks

Sponsored Links
i suggest you ring 'the gas board'

they installed it and it hasnt lasted 2 months. :rolleyes: how long did the job take? that will give some indication if a powerflush was done.

OK was doing that anyway, just looking for clues if any problems arise with them arguing about the job.

They (1 man) only replaced the boiler from a Glow worm to a Worcester and fitted the 4 thermo valves and filter, taking just over 2 days. Including a new exterior gas supply along one wall from Meter to Boiler and Cooker also bricking up where previous boiler was a balanced flue and new is fan vented flue.

For the power flush, what sort of equipment would he have used besides the agents and what sort of time would it have taken to carry this out.

thanks

Check the TRV's are working by removing the heads and pushing the pins down making sure they spring back up. That will eliminate another possability.

Sponsored Links
When you empty the magnetic filter, how much sludge do you find?

A powerflush can take half a day, including setting up and running round turning all the radiators on and off individually. The pumping machine is liely to be at least 2 ft x 2 ft x 2 ft with a big plastic "bucket" and a hose to a drain as well as two hoses to the pipework, and has a fairly noisy electric pump

Gas and Electrricity "boards" ceased to exist many years ago. Do you mean British Gas?

Ok thanks for the replies.

The radiators which have the thermo valves are in the 4 bedrooms, these are working ok.

The two large rads are the problem rads, both are at opposite ends of the circuit, one in lounge and the other in kitchen/diner.

I don't recall seeing any equipment connected for any period of time flushing the system, only a drain tube from a radiator before the removal of old boiler

Brit Gas have been called out.

Watch this space.

ask him to show you how to empty it. It is a householder job, not a plumber. like emptying the washing machine filter.

should be done once a month at first, then less and less often as there is less and less sludge in it.

OK thanks

But was told it would emptied during the Service of the Boiler and Central Heating due in October by the engineer.

once a year may be all right once it has settled down, but at first it needs doing more often.

when you find it clean except for a smear, halve the frequency.

OK,

Finally the system is sorted, well nearly..

Technician called to sort the heating problem as described earlier.

First thought an Airlock in system, although I tried turning all rads off and opening one at a time to force any through. No joy

Then suggested to look at the pump and behold totally blocked apart from a 5mm hole also the new magnetic filter was ok, new Alpha pump fitted. Cured problem.

As for the Power Flush this shows and confirms my thought it was not done during the installation of the new boiler as paid for. Confirmed if done this would have taken a minimum of 4 hours with a specific machine

Now expecting surrounding pipework to be replaced due to the state of the old pump and a proper power flush carried out to finish off.

You mean it was BG who did the installation, and they charged you for a powerflush and didn't perform it? That is stunningly poor and worthy of a separate WRITTEN complaint.

One of the advantages of paying a premium price to a large company like BG is at least they won't disappear or run off with your money, so they will have to deal with your complaint properly.

I am going to do a letter, but think will wait for completion as its cost nothing so far apart from loss of a small amount of heat/inconvenience.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back