2 stop cocks in my house ? Why !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having problems with what I think is water hammer and finding where to start is a nightmare , I have 2 stop cocks for some reason! I live in 3bed semi 1940s where you had coal shed and toilet outside at some point a conservatory was added and toilet fitted out with the combi boiler and washing machine laundry room. One stop cock (stop1)comes down the side of the house into the kitchen and supplies kitchen sink dishwasher bathroom toilet and cold taps in bathroom. The other stop cock (stop2)feeds boiler the downstairs toilet and sink and washing machine. So I only get what I think is water hammer when stop2 taps and washing machine turn off the noise always comes from the bathroom .i.e when the washing machine valve shuts it sounds in the bathroom where the end of line is basically, could it be something simple like loose pipe.

Sponsored Links
If it's easy to install one there give that a try.

TBH I'm not certain the best location is an exact science when there may be several sources contributing to the hammer.

Sponsored Links
Well stop cock goes to boiler then toilet then sink tap then washing machine then upstairs to bathroom so maybe after washing machine so hopefully stop the noise travelling to bathroom !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back