2 switches 2 lights not sure what's happened

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've recently bought a house. In the porch there a double light switch.

One switch does the porch light the other switch in guessing does the understairs light (adjacent to porch) the problem is you have to press both switches together to operate the porch light, and the understairs light doesn't work at all.

On the back of the switch is common 1 way 2 way and same again on the other side.

I have a red,black and earth from one feed
And blue red yellow and earth from another feed. It's definitely not wired up correct. Could anyone advise on how to wire this correctly please

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
One switch does the porch light the other switch in guessing does the understairs light (adjacent to porch) the problem is you have to press both switches together to operate the porch light, and the understairs light doesn't work at all.
When you say understairs light, do you mean a cupboard or is it the hallway light?

On the back of the switch is common 1 way 2 way and same again on the other side.
Ok.

I have a red,black and earth from one feed
And blue red yellow and earth from another feed. It's definitely not wired up correct. Could anyone advise on how to wire this correctly please
The red/blue/yellow suggests two-way switching. I would have said this is for the hall light if you have another switch at the other end of hallway.

Photos of the switch wiring so we can see ALL the wires and where they are connected would be helpful.

Yes an understairs cupboard which is accessed from the porch. The two lights are about 1 metre apart.
2 reds go to 2way
Yellow goes to 2 way
Then the short yellow goes from com to com

Attachments

• IMG_20200115_141312.jpg
    IMG_20200115_141312.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 259
Oh, that's awkward.

First of all -

upload_2020-1-15_15-17-23.png

Mark wire B with a felt tip or piece of tape.
Move wire B and put in in with D.

What happens now?

Sponsored Links
Ok so the switch on b/c( right in pic) now controls both lights on and off, switch on left in pic does nothing

Sorry my mistake just tried yes left switch turns off porch light

So, where are we?

Both switches work but can only have understairs light on if porch light is on ?

Ok so if right hand switch is on, understairs light is on if I then.press right hand switch porch light comes on. Left side (porch) won't turn on unless right side (under stairs is on)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back