2 water heaters can't work together

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 60 amps total coming into my flat. One water heater takes a 20 amp breaker, then a 10 amp on/off switch outside the bathroom. In addition, I want to install a continuous water heater in the garage which is 29 amps. Obviously I cannot operate both simultaneously. So I want to install a ‘changeover’ (single pole double throw) switch just outside the CPU. What size, amperage, switch would be best? Also of course I would need to up the size of the CPU breaker to 30 amp. Some of this question is whether ‘too big’ is any danger or problem. If I operate the smaller water heater, 6 amps, on the 30 amp breaker, will that be any problem I don’t understand ? I see that now the breaker is 3x the size of the unit so maybe this Q is immaterial. Comments welcome

Sponsored Links
The rating of switches, breakers, etc is the maximum current rating. There's no problem running lower currents through these units.

The water heater now in place is 3000W. Which i estimated to be = 6 amps.

Sponsored Links
More like 13A at 230-240V, so for a start the 10A switch is underrated and should be changed.

The water heater now in place is 3000W. Which i estimated to be = 6 amps.

You don't estimate, you calculate. It's a dreadfully simple calculation, and if you can't do it you should put the screwdriver down and leave it to someone who can.

Thanks for the comments both up/down. I will make some adjustments to the situation.

Back