2 way circuit for landing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, would appreciate some kind help about a 2 way light switch that is driving me bonkers.
The light is for the landing light and I can get the switch downstairs to turn the landing light on or I can get the landing switch to turn the landing light on but I cannot turn it on from one of the switches and then go to the other switch and turn it off.....hope that all makes sense.

I'v attached a couple of pics but any further info needed then just ask and I'll do my best to get it.
Both of the switches themselves need replacing which I am going to purchase this wk/end but thought I'd try and get the wires in the correct way which I can just copy over to the new switches.

Thanks for your help gys...much appreciated![/img]

Sponsored Links
See the diagram for 2-way lighting here:

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

At the upstairs switch the permanent live and switched live (probably that one which has come loose) should be connected to L1 & L2, not to COM and one of the Ln.

I take it there are earth conductors in the cables?

Hi guys, would appreciate some kind help about a 2 way light switch that is driving me bonkers.
The light is for the landing light and I can get the switch downstairs to turn the landing light on or I can get the landing switch to turn the landing light on but I cannot turn it on from one of the switches and then go to the other switch and turn it off.....hope that all makes sense.

I'v attached a couple of pics but any further info needed then just ask and I'll do my best to get it.
Both of the switches themselves need replacing which I am going to purchase this wk/end but thought I'd try and get the wires in the correct way which I can just copy over to the new switches.

Thanks for your help gys...much appreciated![/img]

Can`t see an Earth Wire to the Faceplate on the Top Switch , It looks like a Brass Switch to me , If the CPC/Earths are in the Back Box either run a Flying Lead from them to the Face Plate or attach them all to the Faceplate instead of the Back Box , I prefer the 1st option.

Lucky

Can`t see an Earth Wire to the Faceplate on the Top Switch , It looks like a Brass Switch to me ,
Can't see an empty earth terminal either, so hopefully it's just that it's out of shot, hence my question.

I prefer the 1st option.
Not the best way - it's the plate which is the exposed conductive part, not the back-box, so really the cpcs should go to that, and then optionally a flylead to the box.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply guys.

Your correct in thinking its a brass plate and the earth is attached to the box behind it.
There is also earth attached to the box on the upstairs light also.

I am going to get new switches now so I know they are new and shouldn't have any faults and then I will check the diagram out when I get back and I will attach the loose cable to points mentioned.

I am sure I will be back for some more advice lol

Your correct in thinking its a brass plate and the earth is attached to the box behind it.

There must be a permanent earth link from the back box to the front plate. You cannot rely on the front plate fixing screws to provide an adequate earth connection.

Ok, I bought 2 new plastic switches and wired them up as shown in the diagram and all lights working as expected so thanks very much for all your help guys.

I am guessing since I have gone from the brass to the plastic then the earth doesn't matter on the actual switch now and is fine just to the back box?

@ ban-all-sheds - that loose cable actually went into L2 i think it was, well spotted :)

On question that puzzles me is why that loose cable wasn't attached to anything anyway as the previous people who lived here must have been without the landing light obviously.

With a broken wire you would not be able to get true 2-way working. That is why you found this:
I can get the switch downstairs to turn the landing light on or I can get the landing switch to turn the landing light on but I cannot turn it on from one of the switches and then go to the other switch and turn it off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back