2 way dimmer module

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK the item is as described in title ...........
I have removed existing switch and there is only no problem there are two wires,[ red and black] and two holes, one says TOP.
In the junction box there is an earth wire, it is obviously wired to EARTH
I decided to buy a dimmer switch, I have installed one before, but this one says
2 way dimmer module
there are three possible holes for wire, and no connecting wire visible.
Holes are called:
C
L1
L2
The instructions show a one way dimmer diagram using C for neutral from light. and L1 live ....... so that would seem clear for 1 way dimmer.
PS I will not be connected to any wall switch.
The back of the plate [chromed not plastic] has another hole for a wire where it screws in to the junction box, there is no notation BUT it says on instructions "earth terminal if provided must be connected" ...... no way will I connect my earth to the metal plate!
The diagram for 2 way dimmer circuit is confusing to me.
BUT am I confused by terminology, does 2 way refer to a switch which connects to another location eg top of stairs, bottom of stairs?
Can i just ignore the fact that I have probably bought the wrong item, and wire up the live [red] to L1 and the Neutral [black] to C?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008J11DDU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i02

What exactly is the difference between a one way and a 2 way dimmer?

Sponsored Links
MrsD12345";p="2664040 said:
PS I will not be connected to any wall switch.
The back of the plate [chromed not plastic] has another hole for a wire where it screws in to the junction box, there is no notation BUT it says on instructions "earth terminal if provided must be connected" ...... no way will I connect my earth to the metal plate!
quote]If it has a metal front plate then you MUST earth it!

The instructions show a one way dimmer diagram using C for neutral from light.
No they don't.

no way will I connect my earth to the metal plate!
Then no way should you ever do anything with electrics except turn switches on and off.

You are ignorant and dangerous - please get an electrician before you kill someone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back