Replacing an old dimmer with a new digital onw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,i am trying to replace an existing (regular) dimmer which has a live (RED) and neutral (BLACK) wires . As per the instructions of the new dimmer (manufacturer GETPLC), one needs to connect ONLY the live wire to L1 and the earth to the switch .

I have tried doing the same , but obviosuly the dimmer did'nt work.I presume the same was because the neutral was no where in the scene!

Appreiate if someone can help me fix this new dimmer -- the connections on the new dimmer are L1 , Sw and ~ .Its a 1 gang ,2 Way dimmer.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
i dont think you have read the instructions right.

oh and its not neutral, its switched live, should have red tape on it

connect to squigily line and L1 picture is in sticky for referance

thanks for your reply.unfortunately, there's no red tpe on the black , but presume that would be the switched live as the plain red was connected to the L1 of the old socket.
Appreciate if you can send me a quick confirmation before i blow -up anything.
Many thanks

Amitabh

Sponsored Links
its a switch , not a socket, but it makes no difference which wire goes where (so llong as we ar not mentioning the earth)

if it is a metal fronted swittch this should also be connected to the earth

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back