dimmer swicth install problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i hope someone can help me i am trying to replace a standard switch with a dimmer.
the standard switch has 3 connections on it, L1 which has a yellow wire going into it, L2 wich has a brown wire going into it, com wich has a red wire going into it and an earth that is connected to the back of the box. the dimmer switch has 3 connections on it L SW and an ~ with an arrow through it. i understand that these mean Live Switched Live and Com is that correct?
out of the L1 and L2 wires wich goes to the L and wich to the SW? or have i got the wrong kind of dimmer?

there is also another switch in the room controlling the same light does this need to be changed to a dimmer too or can it be left standard?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You only need one dimmer. A second dimmer will interfere with the correct operation of the new dimmer.

What kind of dimmer is it? Is it a 2 way dimmer? If so, then just put the cables back into the corresponding terminals to the old switch. Is there also a terminal block in the switchbox with a blue and black cable in it?

It depends on the type of dimmer. Some require a slave dimmer, some require a normal switch.

Sounds like you need a 2 way dimmer.
However the one you have brought seems like, from the symbols on it,that it can only be used for 2 way, when a slave unit is also fitted to replace the other switch.

Hence the SW connection on it.

Sponsored Links
the dimmer is an electronic dimmer switch with remote control. im confused by the L1 and L2 connections on the old switch and the L and SW on the new dimmer does the L1 go into the L and the L2 into the switch or will this kill the switch?

ok i have bought a slave unit. do the wires go L1 (red) to L, L2 (blue) to SW, and Com (yellow) to ~ on both units?

thanks for all your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back