Dimmer install Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was about to install a dimmer to replace a single switch running 3 lights in one room, took the face plate off and found that 2 red (live) wires go into the switch in COM and 1 into L1 and the 3 black (neutral) joined and not connected to the switch, and nothing into the L2 - my dimmer has an L1 and L2 - how should it be wired??

Do I have the correct dimmer switch?

thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Does your dimmer really only have L1 and L2 terminals, or does it infact also have a ~ (with an arrow through it) terminal aswell?

Sorry - it actually has an L and ~ with the arrow - my mistake

Hopefully there are also some earths in there!

Leave the earths and neutrals as they are. The single red wire from L1 goes to one of your dimmer terminals and the two from COM go to the other. It will work either way round but, for the benefit of the next person who opens up the box, you should put the permanent live(s) into L. Since the existing switch controls multiple lights, the two red wires in COM are probably the switched ones. If you want to be sure, a meter or neon driver will tell you.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply - I shall give that a go, and yes there are earth's in there connected as suspected to the mounting plate.

Thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back