2 way lighting switch query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks
Got a query on one of the 2-way switches in the garage
There is one light controlled by 2 switches, one at the front of the garage and one at the back

The switch at the back of the garage has 3 cores connected in it [that cable runs to the other switch at the front].....is one of these 3 cores a neutral...?

I want to replace the switch at the back to a 2 gang one to switch a light at the back door.....one of these 3 cores will be a permanent live i think so I can loop that to the switch controlling the new light....but is one of the cores a neutral that I can run to the new light outside?

Hope that makes sense....ta for any help

Sponsored Links
Ah....OK, ta
So these 3 cores will a mixture of a permanent live and switched live cores then?.....just trying to see how I get a neutral in that are to power the new light.....not so easy to run new cable to front to get a neutral without making a mess

There is unlikely to be a neutral at the front switch either.

You will have to connect to the present light or the power supply to the garage.

Sponsored Links
There is unlikely to be a neutral at the front switch either.

You will have to connect to the present light or the power supply to the garage.

Ta, i think there is as there are a couple of blacks in connector strip in the back box....cant really run to this position anyway as it wouldn't be easy without a mess, everything plasterboarded on ceiling [would have to go through every joist].... and tiled walls etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back