2 way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This website explains how to wire a two way switch so 1 light can be controled by 2 switches. I need to do the same thing but for 2 lights being controlled by a double switch - can anyone point me to a wiring diagram? Thanks

Sponsored Links
What you mean is a 'two gang' switch. Are your two lights already wired through one switch?

netview, although you know what you mean, we do not understand, could you be more specific.

i.e. one switch operates one light or two swithes (2 gang) operate two lights

I think you got a 2 gang that operates 2 lights right? Look at the Sticky for reference at the top of this forum.......it shows you how to wire a 1 gang 2 way switch, you do the same for each switch on your 2 gang.....just look at them as single switches and wire accordingly

Sponsored Links
Breezer, what I think he's saying is that he would like to covert a 2 gang one way switch into 2 gang 2 way......

securespark said:
Breezer, what I think he's saying is that he would like to covert a 2 gang one way switch into 2 gang 2 way......
....and he's unable to grasp the fact that he needs to do exactly what the reference diagrams show him for each set of terminals in the 2-gang switches. This does not look good....

ban-all-sheds said:
This does not look good....

its worse he posted a while ago and hasn't posted since, don't suppose he is uncle ned?

Long story.
About 4 years ago i changed all my light switches for brass ones, no problem, then about 18 months after that the two way switch that powers the light in the dinning room stoped working but as we never use it i left it, then two days ago the dinning room light starting flickering , the following morning the same light was on and would not go of, also the light on the stairs was on i pulled the fuse until that evening. After checking the wires on the switches i now have this situation dinning room and stairs lights don't work and the kitchen light which is the middle switch the two ends ones being two ways for dinning room and stairs as i said the kitchen one works upside down and i am sure the wiring is as was. I hope all this makes sense any good ideas

Doesn't make a lot of sense, but I only read it 3 times.

First idea - replace all the switches that you know are faulty.

This is one of those terrific threads where somebody posts a question which is unclear. A series of willing respondents then ask for clarification...
...which never comes as the original poster has registered with an email address s/he never checks and never revisits the site. Eventually the thread takes on a life of its own, becomes an anecdotal maze, then slowly succumbs to the bulletin board equivalent of Alzheimer's, dribbling and incontinent, with little hope of a dignified conclusion.

And three months after the original post some t**ser (me, in this case) thinks it's clever to point this out! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back