2 x 2.5 T&E

Sponsored Links
I used 2 x 150mm² rather than 1 x 240mm² simply because I could not bend 240mm² to fit the terminal box of the generator. I questioned at the time why make a terminal box too small to take the output of the generator on a single cable but they did.

I am sure there are many other cases were cables have been doubled up rather than use a larger cable. OK there was really no chance of a 150mm² cable becoming disconnected but correctly installed neither will 2.5mm² become disconnected.

I missed bit about using outside and yes twin and earth not suitable but I see nothing which says it's a final circuit I would assume the workshop would have a dis board.

Aye so scary!
Try considering a 1/2 mile length of 2 x 0.2 sq inch 3 core copper at 11kV, not uncommon buried in the public streets of this country (or combinations of other sizes up to 1/2 sq inch and (below also) up to a mile of so n length))

In fact other national standards prohibit their use for a final circuit.
Other national standards prohibit the use of BS 1363 sockets.

What's your point?
Well that is a daft point on your part (no surprises there).

But what I was pointing out is that whilst parallel conductors do indeed have an important use, the connection of a final circuit really isn't one of them.

Sponsored Links
Interesting that you should raise the issue of daft points.

Ukwoody is in Wales, so please tell us why what the regulations in other countries say is relevant and useful to him.

Interesting that you should raise the issue of daft points.

Ukwoody is in Wales, so please tell us why what the regulations in other countries say is relevant and useful to him.
That wasn't my point. I was suggesting that it would be seen as poor practice globally, although not actually prohibited in Wales.

We don't need to aim to be at the cutting edge of poor practice though, do we?

I was suggesting that it would be seen as poor practice globally, although not actually prohibited in Wales.
I will suggest that 32A ring finals wired using 2.5mm² cable would be seen as poor practice globally, although not actually prohibited in Wales.

Again - what is your point? Why do you keep banging on about what the regulations in other countries do or do not allow? Is it all part of your own hopeless confusion about the difference between one country and another, and which one you live in?

We don't need to aim to be at the cutting edge of poor practice though, do we?
No, but neither do we need to advise someone not to do something which is perfectly OK because another country says you can't.

Ukwoody - I suggest you pay little heed to what Risteard tells you - remember you are dealing with someone who doesn't even know where he lives.

I am sure there are many other cases were cables have been doubled up rather than use a larger cable.
Well at a previous job, there were cables from the generator where they used (IIRC) 8off singles* per pole (it was DC) and even then they had to be chainblocked into shape. I believe on later models they were planning on going to 16 singles in parallel. I can't say any more than "several tens of kA, at a few hundred volts DC, and with an impressive tank of batteries".

* Each of which is probably larger in CSA than most people here have ever worked with.

And for a rather more every day example, take a look at the larger overhead HV systems (275 and 400kV) - where each phase is several separate conductors, spaced apart to improve air cooling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back