2 x 3 core cable into exterior light with single L & N...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm a DIYer with metal fabrication & a little carpentry background. Electrics isn't my thing so I'll get in a sparky if I need to, but was hoping wiring an exterior light would be achievable.

The old one was a rotten mess with rounded screws and rusted fittings. Getting it off took a little force so I don't have the existing wiring configuration to rely on. The new one was been mounted on the wall for a year waiting to be wired in (all wires capped w/ terminal blocks).

From a bit of research my understanding is:

1 - I've got two 3 core cables - one will be the switch and the other the consumer unit.
2 - By using a multimeter on the L and N with the fuse off and switch on, I was able to make a circuit on the left hand cable (with green and yellow tape on the cable) so that would be the switch cable.
3 - These all have the old (pre 2004) wire sheaths, just to add to the fun.

Can you please advise on the connect way to wire the light? I'm going round and round in circles using other posts and wiki pages, thought it'd be simplest to ask directly.

If it turns out that this type of light fitting isn't ideal then I'll just replace it.

Attachments

• 20230212_153134.jpg
    20230212_153134.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 88
Sponsored Links
Thanks @bernardgreen . You also gave some great responses on another post that was very useful for me. Presumably all of the other wires should be capped? Including both earth wires?

The Earth wires must be connected together to supply an Earth the the switch. The switch you have now may not need an Earth but an Earth has to be available at the switch.

Sponsored Links
The Earth wires must be connected together to supply an Earth the the switch. The switch you have now may not need an Earth but an Earth has to be available at the switch.
So if I'm following the diagram and this response correctly I should have the following:

1 - The earth wires connected which I'd do by putting them in each side of a terminal block.
2 - The neutral from the consumer connected to the light.
3 - The neutral from the switch capped.

The diagram you've sent is a little confusing with regards to the live. Should
I:
A - Combine the two lives (the joint in the diagram) and add an extra live wire coming out from the joint to connect to the light?

Or

B - Cap the live from the consumer and connect the switches live to the light?

The Black wire from the switch is not a Neutral, it is a Switched Live and provides the Live to the lamp when the switch is ON
Aha! So join the two live red wires (one from switch and one from consumer unit) with a terminal block. Then connect the black wire from the switch (which is switched live, as you explained) to the Live terminal on the light. So in summary:

1 - Connect two Live red wires via a terminal block.
2 - Connect two yellow & green Earth wires via a terminal block.
3 - Connect black Neutral wire from consumer unit to light Neutral terminal.
4 - Connect black Switched Live from switch cable to Live terminal on light.

Apologies if this is a bit laborious. I'm thinking a domestic electricals course may be a part of my near future...

That is correct.

Don't worry about asking questions, it far better to ask and get advice and do the task properly than to go by trial and error with the risk that carries,

That is correct.

Don't worry about asking questions, it far better to ask and get advice and do the task properly than to go by trial and error with the risk that carries,
I really appreciate the support. I found half an hour this morning and got it all wired up as we discussed. Success!! Although the light is older than I realised so I may find another with just the L & N terminals and replace it down the line but I'll sure to maintain the connections when I do.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• 20230213_110959.jpg
    20230213_110959.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 20230213_110830.jpg
    20230213_110830.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 20230213_110837.jpg
    20230213_110837.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 54
Hi Bernard,
Just reviving this query as the light I connected the other week was a bit older than I realised. I've got a new light to replace it which has 3 terminals inside - live, neutral and earth. Based on your comment that I've replied to here, can I use the same wiring setup as for the previous light fitting and join the earth wires from the switch and the consumer unit in the light terminal? So it would be as follows:

1 - Leave the two Live wires connected via a terminal block
2 - Braid the two Earth wires and connect them in the single Earth terminal in the light fitting
3 - Connect the Neutral from the consumer unit to the light's Neutral terminal
4 - Connect the Switched Live from the switch to the light's Live terminal

Thanks for the support!

1 - Leave the two Live wires connected via a terminal block
2 - Braid the two Earth wires and connect them in the single Earth terminal in the light fitting
3 - Connect the Neutral from the consumer unit to the light's Neutral terminal
4 - Connect the Switched Live from the switch to the light's Live terminal

That is correct,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back