2000W electrical heater v Type 22 Horizontal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In reality, do you think a standalone electrical 2000W electrical heater (example below) would heat up a room in the same time it would take a central heating Type 22 horizontal radiator of exactly 2000W (at delta 50, with CH at 50) to heat up the same room?

Or would the CH rad heat the room up quicker?

22205f5c-1763-422e-9799-075dd4986675.jpg

https://www.homebase.co.uk/2000w-convection-heater_p514943

Sponsored Links
2000w is 2000w. It doesn't matter what's generating it
One reason I ask is that I've tried a vertical column rad in the past and irrespective of what the official wattage was, it definitely took the room longer to heat up compared to a standalone electrical heater of equivalent wattage.

There are multiple factors.
- does the electric heater have fans to force air movement
- how long does it take for CH radiator temperature to rise to 2kw output, remember that electric heater will heat up far quicker as the second you turn it on 2kw is being dissipated into the coil and you will feel it shortly after while water needs to have its temp raised and then flow around the system, if you have other radiators they will also be sharing the boiler output.

Electric may be better at instant heat requirements.

Sponsored Links
I've tried a vertical column

as @rbranco says, a column radiator has to heat the metal (often 30kg or more in traditional styles) as well as all the water within it before it becomes hot.

tall thin heaters tend to send a narrow vertical steam of hot air straight to the celing. A wide, low radiator mixes more with the air in the room, which gives a more even heat unless you are a ceiling-dwelling spider.

Some people say that warm air does not stratify above cold air. I say it does.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back