2002 Seat Leon SE 1.8 starting fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 2002 Seat Leon has trouble starting from the first turn of the key, it will turn over like its going to start, kind of sit around 500rpm and then die. If I then try again it will start ok or struggle to life with the revs fluctuating or slowly rising to idle. Onces its ran for something like 5 seconds, it can be turned off and it will start up again fine no problems! Its had a coolant temp sensor, which cured the intial cold start fault it did have, and a fuel pressure regulator which almost solved the problem for around a week! Every now and then it will start ok, but more often than not ill have this problem!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Its like the fuel pump isn't getting power when you switch the ignition on. It might only be getting power after the engine starts, due to a bad connection (voltage drop). get the fuel pressure checked at start up (leave the gauge on) and see you should have around 3 bar.

Obviously you have no fault codes coming up when you plug it in?

No codes when its plugged in! Ill have to see about getting a cheapo fuel pressure gauge to try out!

Would I be seeing 3 bar when the engines running, or just with the ignition on?

Cheers

What petrol are you running it on ? You can get poor starting problems if you run it on supermarket fuel.

Sponsored Links
Are you wating a few moment with the ignition on before turning the engine over, perhaps you are just putting the key in a turning it fast and maybe there is a lift pump that is not priming properly? just a stab in the dark though i'm affraid.

No codes when its plugged in! Ill have to see about getting a cheapo fuel pressure gauge to try out!

Would I be seeing 3 bar when the engines running, or just with the ignition on?

Cheers

£ bar all the time or at least some pressure before you go for a start?

Yeah thats what I thought at first, but I let it sit for a few seconds! Wait for the pump priming sound to finish, and all the lights on the dash to go out, and then try to start!

Ok then ill try and get a pressure gauge on there soon and see what its getting!

I got round to checking the fuel pressure, and its 2.5 - 3 bar! doesnt drop or fluctuate much while having trouble starting!

Any possibility it could also be blockage somewhere? Its been fine since the fuel gauge was fitted, only had an issue starting twice and the gauge has been fitted for what must be nearly two weeks now! :?:

Sponsored Links
Back