2010 Citroen c5. Things not lining up after trying to refit lower control arm, please help. pics and video inc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi .

I have a 2010 Citroen C5. I was told the lower arm bushes needed replacing and I mistakenly removed the lower arm off the car , it turns out it is only the bushings inside the hub that the arm attaches to that needs replacing.

I am in process of trying to refit the Lower control arm and I am very confused and frustrated.
Nothing seems to be lining up whatsoever.

I have attached picture and a video to show what I mean , any advice much appreciated, thank you

s-l40011.jpg

Sponsored Links
If it doesnt line up and you are sure you have replaced the parts correctly then it needs to be persuaded back into alignment. You will need some form of long, strong lever and probably the judicious use of a jack. It may also be worth putting the wheel back on and seeing if some tension on the suspension may help, slowly and a bit at a time. Obviously the suspension has moved and needs persuading back into position.

A clearer photo/video would be useful and make sure the vehicle is well supported especially if you are going to be levering bits around to line up. I generally slide the wheel underneath the sill, then if it does drop you have a chance of not being crushed.

You could try a “Spanish windlass”. A loop of strong rope that you wrap around the components to be aligned then using a good lever, strong screwdriver or similar you can put it through the loop and wind it up. As the loop gets twisted the parts will be brought into alignment. When you have finished winding make sure to secure the lever/screwdriver otherwise it can let go with spectacular results ending at A & E.

Sponsored Links
Jobs in cars often seem easy until you have a go.

suspension arms can be a very physical job, lots of levers and partners needed, especially if it is only 1 wheel in the air.

probably will need 2 people. 1 to guide the levers and let things into place and the other to use a Jack or 2 to help force things into position and line up.

using new bolts too I hope

As above, plenty of heaving and centralise the round bush first if you can with a round bar through the hole. leave the strut connection until last.

Do I recognise the guy in the picture from somewhere? o_O

John :)

When I did my two bushes, I did it using a pit, with the cars wheels on the ground. Taking the weight off the suspension, will move everything out of alignment.

If you’re really having trouble, raise the other side of the car and put the chassis on stands, remove the suspension strut on the side you are having trouble with to give you a clear space to work in and then fit the wishbone when it’s under no load. Then it should be 'easier' to just fit the strut back on. Long winded way but you’ve not had much success so far!

How's the Vectra?

If you’re really having trouble, raise the other side of the car and put the chassis on stands, remove the suspension strut on the side you are having trouble with to give you a clear space to work in and then fit the wishbone when it’s under no load. Then it should be 'easier' to just fit the strut back on. Long winded way but you’ve not had much success so far!

The bush clamp should not be tightened, until the weight is back on the wheels.

Put the wheel back on, then a concrete block or breeze block under the wheel.
Lower the jack so the weight of the car pushes the suspension down.
This should help lining it up, then as others said, long levers, rope and anything else you can get your hands on.

How's the Vectra?

Thanks everyone for all your replies but I feel overwhelmed and even more confused as I'm only an amateur at this .

Mottie, did you mean remove everything like driveshaft etc to fit arm then refit everything ?

Thanks

Also I can't let the front wheels down as the front of car Is in the air. I had to reverse car onto kerb so that there was a big enough gap so I could slide the jack underneath .

I remember i momentarily jacked under the hub near the disc etc to try take out a bolt. Could that have knocked it out of aligning back up properly ?

I can't because front of the car is in air back wheels are reversed onto kerb so that I could get back underneath

Sponsored Links
Back