20A junction box on ring main??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A plumber recently added a spur to the ring main in the kitchen. He used a junction box rated at 20A though for 2.5mm cable. I've since read it should have been a 30A box so I'm a bit worried whether this is safe. I'd simply replace it myself except it requires unplumbing the sink and moving the base unit to get at it.

I think 2.5mm mains cable is itself only rated at 20A so presumably a 20A box is OK? :confused:

Sponsored Links
20A JB should be okay.
I would be concerned that the JB is not easily accessible though, if you have to dismantle the kitchen sink and move base unit to gain access.
Did you get a certificate off the plumber for this alteration?
Do you know if it was a MF (maintenance free) box?

thanks for the advice guys. I'll sleep a bit better for that.

Prentice Boy, I don't know if the box is MF or not but there were two of them identical and he left the other behind - it is a brown Contactum marked "BS6220 - 250v 20A - 2.5mm" on the back. Four brass contacts inside. Top revolves to cover unused entrance holes.

In retrospect the access issue bothers me too, I didn't really think whilst he was doing it.

Sponsored Links
He's a naughty boy!
Your JB should have been left in a location that is easily accessible for maintenance, inspection and testing.
It's a regulation and what your plumber has done does not conform.
The BS number is BS5733
The requirement is
Regulation 526.3 (vi) BS7671:2008 (amendment 1, 2011)
Call the plumber and inform him, I am sure they will be happy for the advice and while you are at it, ask them to replace yours with one that conforms!

Is there any chance of water getting onto the junction box ?

Do not forget that condensation can form on the underside of a stainless steel sink and drip onto things below it.

it's fastened against the side wall - I don't think water is likely, but it is possible - it is within spray distance of some copper pipe. Looks like he'll have to come back!

Thought I might buy one of these, presume it is OK?....30A and waterproof.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WK308B.html

I'll get him to fit it on the floor under the base unit - will be away from the piping and accessible by removing the board. Put it on a wooden patress to keep above any leaking water.

it is within spray distance of some copper pipe.
That's being over-cautious.
Thought I might buy one of these, presume it is OK?....30A and waterproof.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WK308B.html[/QUOTE]No, that's not suitable - just go with the previous suggestion.
I'll get him to fit it on the floor under the base unit
- will be away from the piping and accessible by removing the board. Put it on a wooden patress to keep above any leaking water.
Right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back