20A Radial using 2.5mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not at home at the minute, (getting soaked in a forest and brain has gone numb), but friend called just before to say he wants to add 2 more double sockets to his shed.
He has a single radial circuit with one double socket on it protected by a 20A MCB in one of those garage style CU's Can he add 2 more doubles using 2.5mm or does he need to go up to 4.0mm?
Alternatively can he add the 2 extra sockets and then form a ring back to the 20A MCB?
I'm stuck with my head under a hot tub at the moment and can't think straight about others problems.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Can’t see any need for 4mm on a 20A radial
Only if it is deeply buried in thermal insulation etc. (e.g. Methods A, 101 & 103), in which case the CCC of 2.5mm² would be less than 20A (or if there were other major 'de-rating factors at work).

Kind Regards, John

Spoke to my friend last night. He has changed it to a ring anyway and left the 20A MCB in place.
I asked him was in in the 'fuseboard' back in the house and he said the shed was fed via 10mm swa from a socket in the lounge which is on a 32A MCB ring.
Is this acceptable?
(The CU in the garage has a 30Ma RCD as the main switch and another 6A MCB for his lights. 3 small fluorescents and a slimline led fitting).

As had been suggested, and with respect, that is just plain stupid and achieves nothing (other than wasting some cable).

Kind Regards, John

I did say that he didn't need to form a ring but he decided to do it anyway.
What I find odd about it all is his Dad, (now retired), used to be a sparky who only ever did domestic work. I've never met his Dad so don't know how good he was or even if he has still got all his mables to be honest so maybe he just wanted to be safe/make sure.

Thanks John.

I did say that he didn't need to form a ring but he decided to do it anyway. What I find odd about it all is his Dad, (now retired), used to be a sparky who only ever did domestic work. I've never met his Dad so don't know how good he was or even if he has still got all his mables to be honest so maybe he just wanted to be safe/make sure. Thanks John.
Fair enough. There's no problem with doing what he's done, it's just that it was totally unnecessary. These days, the benefits (if any) of having ring circuits (with 32A MCBs) is pretty marginal at the best of times, but with a 20A MCB there really is no point at all.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back