20Metre LED Strip?...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to install a 20 metre les strip around my whole room as in a rope light. Although using rope lights the lighting is very inconsistent. I have found some on ebay such as THESE although after watching and reading online i learnt that these could be unsafe and not last long. So then i looked to amplifying the signal every 5 -10 metres although the amplifiers are huge and wont fit in the 2 cm space that i have so i am sorta stuck in a hole now?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
If any of it is unsafe it will be the power supply, the actual LEDs themselves will either work or fail.

A 20m strip powered from one end will get dimmer towards the end furthest from the power supply.
Solutions to this include connecting power at both ends, or using smaller strips such as 5m lengths with individual power cables to each strip. The cables would need to be suitably sized for the load and distance, such as 2.5mm² or even 4mm².
All connected to a permanently wired good quality power supply from a decent manufacturer. Certainly not some unbranded plug in thing.
The power supply on it's own will cost significantly more than the LEDs.

The clue is in the statement 390~450 lumens per meter, if fed with a constant current LED's should emit a constant amount of light. There are two basic ways of feeding a line of LED's.

One is to split the LED's into groups, often groups of 3, and place a resistor with each group to control current. This is very wasteful as the resistor just produces heat, but it is easy to power using a simple fixed voltage power supply often 12 volt. It is good enough for decoration, but not really what you want for general lighting. Because there is no current regulation as the LED's get further from the supply they get dimmer and dimmer, and also you need to use quite thick cable.

The other method again splitting into groups, but much larger groups, often 15 in a group, and this time the LED's are controlled with a current controller often PMW (pulse width modulated) with a variable supply voltage often 6 ~ 50 volt but a fixed current typical 320 mA, this is a lot less wasteful typical 100 lumen per watt, and the current controller auto compensates for volt drop and the voltage is a lot higher to start with so the wiring is a lot thinner.

With the former you can often run multiple power supplies in series to try and reduce the volt drop, but these would need to be positioned along the run so you end up with a mixture of low and extra low voltage wiring. With the latter again you can run multiple units and each unit will have it's own group of LED's but the "drivers" as the power supply for this type is called can all be together as there is no volt drop problem.

Note in the lighting industry they are not good at using correct names, read the spec do not rely on correct names. In the main the driver can be tweaked slightly and the current dropped a little so extending the LED life.

With the voltage power supply dropping voltage can make some LED's rather dim, so often those close are over driven and those away from power supply are under driven so those over driven may have a short life. LED's do produce heat and what they are mounted on does make a difference, they often have sticky backs to ensure they are held to some heat sink, this sticky back tends to fail causing over heating then LED failure if powered to their limit.

Using cheap LED's designed to run on 12 volt powered with 11 volt will likely last for years and look very good. And for decoration are no problem, but if being used to light an area the volt drop will mean too much light loss.

Sponsored Links
why you don't buy constant current led strip ,

Can be Cut each 6leds.

The item shown is NOT constant current. It uses groups of 3 LED elements plus resistor in series with a 12 volt DC supply. The cutting distance is over two groups of 3 elements and resistors. In the picture the small black items are thre resistors. Varying the voltage will vary the current and thus thes can be very easily dimmed.

Better quality strips using grouped elements plus resistor are available and most can be cut every 3 elements.

The item shown is NOT constant current. It uses groups of 3 LED elements plus resistor in series with a 12 volt DC supply. The cutting distance is over two groups of 3 elements and resistors. In the picture the small black items are thre resistors. Varying the voltage will vary the current and thus thes can be very easily dimmed.

Better quality strips using grouped elements plus resistor are available and most can be cut every 3 elements.

So if i find a real good quality version i should be able to do that without a light brightness drop off the wire will just be a tad bigger (which is fine)
Edit
Although i did just to a bit of research and found led drivers?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back