20mm round PVC conduit question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I have some questions on 20mm PVC conduit (the 3m round PVC lengths you get from Screwfix) and was hoping somebody could help:

1. Whats the difference between an inspection 'elbow' and and an inspection 'bend' ? Screwfix have both and I'm not sure which to buy for a straightforward 90degree change of angle?

2. I want to feed cable 'through' a wall and up 'along' from the other side. Once the cable is passed through, how would I go 'up' as neither the inspection elbow nor the bend would work due to the change in plane (I think)? Is there an accessory for this?

Please help!!

Sponsored Links
1. Whats the difference between an inspection 'elbow' and and an inspection 'bend' ?
ae235
ae235

They look different to me.

Screwfix have both and I'm not sure which to buy for a straightforward 90degree change of angle?
How sharp a bend do you want?

2. I want to feed cable 'through' a wall and up 'along' from the other side. Once the cable is passed through, how would I go 'up' as neither the inspection elbow nor the bend would work due to the change in plane (I think)? Is there an accessory for this?
Make a hole in the base of one of these:

ae235

1. Whats the difference between an inspection 'elbow' and and an inspection 'bend' ? Screwfix have both and I'm not sure which to buy for a straightforward 90degree change of angle?
AIUI the difference is an "elbow" is much tighter than a "bend". So useful in cramped spaces but also harder to pull cables though

AIUI the way this is done is to use a circular conduit box with one entry on the rear and one on the side.

What i'm not sure is if you can buy such a box "off the shelf" or if you have to drill a hole in the back of a regular circular box and then fit a conduit adaptor to it.

Thanks ban-all-sheds. So am I correct in assuming:

1: The difference between the elbow and bend is just how sharp of a bend I want? in which case i'll just go with whatever is cheapest.

2: Do you have a picture of the back of a 1 way Terminal Box? Would I need a female gland/grommet type bush or would i just push the conduit in to the back after making a 20mm hole?

Sponsored Links
1: The difference between the elbow and bend is just how sharp of a bend I want? in which case i'll just go with whatever is cheapest.

The price difference is trivial, so why don't you plan out your run and use what's appropriate? (preferring a bend whenever possible..)

2: Do you have a picture of the back of a 1 way Terminal Box? Would I need a female gland/grommet type bush or would i just push the conduit in to the back after making a 20mm hole?

MT20FMAB.JPG

Thanks ban-all-sheds. So am I correct in assuming:

an "elbow" is much tighter than a "bend". So useful in cramped spaces but also harder to pull cables though

2: Do you have a picture of the back of a 1 way Terminal Box?
No, but essentially it will look like this:

5uuf.jpg

Would I need a female gland/grommet type bush or would i just push the conduit in to the back after making a 20mm hole?
If you want conduit coming out of the back then save yourself time, and probably cost and get ones like this:

MK_2ecr7.jpg

Or use flexible conduit? What's the environment?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back