22mm - 15mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I need to change lead piping in the bathroow at the boiler it is 22mm copper can I change to 15mm to feed the bathroow or should I put 22mm

Sponsored Links
Boiler? ...I guess you mean hot water cylinder ;) ...22 to the bath..reduced to 15 from there to basin.

yes it is hot water tank boiler is 15mm to pipe from hot water tank then goes into bathroom with lead piping approx 22mm do i need a lead to copper compression fitting to join onto lead piping from cold system

Ah...possibly you are mistaking galvanised iron for lead....you see lead was only used for mains water through house...or short tails from iron pipes to bath and basin .Anyway....you can get a leadlock compression fitting or iron thread to copper....best place is a plumbers merchant, try scraping the pipe in question with an old knife. etc. lead is soft and v. shiny Galv, iron much harder and less shiny.....hope this helps identify. Really you should remove lead altogether and replace with copper or plastic.

Sponsored Links
newhousemadness said:
Hi I need to change lead piping in the bathroow at the boiler it is 22mm copper can I change to 15mm to feed the bathroow or should I put 22mm
the bath taps are fed by 22mm but everything else is 15mm. You can reduce to 15mm and then come back up to 22mm just for the bath if that helps[/quote]

Nigel come to Scotland and I will show you lead a plenty at the HW cylinder.

Some moons ago I installed a combi and the cylinder was removed. When I cut back the cold feed to cylinder (to cap this pipe), it started to leak. Had to replace with copper to cold feed cistern in the loft (through two apartments above)

Ah, That explains it..I`ve never been North of Watford :LOL: Interesting tho`...I thought the soft water would not be good for the lead....perhaps it`s worse for iron?

Thanks, sorted used lead to copper compression fittings i left 22mm around bathroow to hot water tank and fed from that for sink etc can you cure leaks...

only kidding but had a few

There's plenty of led up North including all gas pipe runs around the house. Led prices are quite good at the moment, which is nice. I get quite a few emergencies due to led, often because of a poorly fitted ledlock.

I don't do my own part p so can't very fy this but a sparks got me to remove a stop tap into led put a short piece of copper in so he could fix his bonding to copper within .6 of stop tap. I went on from there in plastic. Seems farse icle to me that they couldn't get a good bond on led, and that now they have a far worse one because all there is is about 6inches of copper.

He also tells me that now when you do your cross bonding in a bathroom you have to take it up to the earth in every light fitting and every switch. That's going to be fun. One more reason to try and avoid bathrooms.

After watching him work I'm sure glad I didn't go in for corgi's pathetic scheme. We're well out of it if you ask me, their regs have gone even worse than ours.

Plenty of houses in Surrey/west London are all lead internally, with a sprinkling of iron. Sometimes when the lead comes out it leaves great curving furrows in the walls - ideal for plastic pipe!
On some 30's estates there's a mix of copper one side of the street and "other" the other side. Also some lath and plaster with others plasterboard!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back