24 jet power shower- can a hotwater tank be filled by combi?

Sponsored Links
Three and a half grand and you want FREE answers :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:Just copy what your friend has got

Can't beat free advice! :LOL: (My friends is a smaller unit)

Their technical lady said I need 13L/Min@3BAR minimum.

Thanks for all the advice so far but i'm not sure that I have fully explained my fitting idea!

I want to know if there are any dangers in filling this type of cylinder with HOT water from the combi boiler instead of cold water. This will let me heat up the water quicker for the third/forth shower ect.

d1_1.jpg

Obviously it would be a new one and bigger! (and not one from ebay like this picture!)

I would also assume that I need an equal size cold tank.

PUMPS:
One for hot and one for cold or a twin feed pump for both. What is better?
Any recomendations?

Mark ;)

PS. I have a Worcester Combi boiler but it is 5 years old.

Sponsored Links
I had shower/steam unit very similar in previous house (about to fit same in present house) we had 4 bedrooms with 2 ensuites (one of which had steam unit) and family bathroom. We had potterton puma boiler and Megaflow ( not sure what model but big) in attic. More than enough for shower with similar amount of jets and no reduction in flow if other shower used but if someone ran bath it did take pressure down somewhat. It refilled in about 10 - 15 mins.

Smcc

What you had in your old house is not what would necessarily work in this instance. Mr Hedge Fund needs to find out his incoming flow rate, a Megaflo is not a piece of magic, it is a steel can. All the pressure and flow is provided by the incoming water main.

Mr HF

is still banging on about his idea of filling a cylinder with water from a combi. Of course you can do this if you want; abuse deleted .

It seems that you would quite like us to underwrite your half baked idea in this forum.

Dream on, mate, they will pull you to pieces. I would stick to posting pictures from ebay.

simond said:
abuse deleted

It seems that you would quite like us to underwrite your half baked idea in this forum.

Dream on, mate, they will pull you to pieces. I would stick to posting pictures from ebay.

I asked as simple question and don't see the need for an abuse deleted answer from you.

A simple no that would not work because... would of done quite nicely, abuse deleted .

I came here for some advice, abuse deleted .

Mark
PS> abuse deleted

? QUESTION ?

Have you given notice to the Water Undertaker that you intend on fitting a pump which will deliver more than 12 ltrs/min :?:

Arf

The guys a tosser :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Abuse not deleted t o s s e r

Attitude problem gets me every time

GTO NEMESIS said:
Thanks for all the advice so far but i'm not sure that I have fully explained my fitting idea!

I want to know if there are any dangers in filling this type of cylinder with HOT water from the combi boiler instead of cold water. This will let me heat up the water quicker for the third/forth shower ect.
Obviously it would be a new one and bigger! (and not one from ebay like this picture!)

I would also assume that I need an equal size cold tank.

PUMPS:
One for hot and one for cold or a twin feed pump for both. What is better?
Any recomendations?

Mark ;)

PS. I have a Worcester Combi boiler but it is 5 years old.

It is possible to power your hot water storage by creating a seperate zone on the heating side

Then you would have to pump the stored hot water as you propose but you would have to increase your header tank water so you can keep up with the demand.

My opinion is in line with one already expressed that you would need 1 or possibly 2 megaflo's or similar unvented cylinders.

Stored hot water wise; 300 litres might just suffice but depending on demand I would say you could want 400 to 600 to achieve a decent recovery rate for anyone getting a shower immediately after someone has come out.

Lets bounce a few figures about and see what happens.

300 litres of water at say 65ºC in the summer would need another 300 litres of cold mains water @ 15ºC to cool it to the required 40ºC ish for a shower. At 20 l/m thats a 30 minute shower. In the winter when the mains temp is only about 5ºC you could be struggling after about 20 minutes.

However there is one thing that hasn't been taken into account. When the temperature drops in the cylinder your boiler should kick in and re-instate the hot water that has been used so depending on the output of your boiler and the other heating loads on it at the time you could get I would guess another 30% ish on the showering time.

If theres an adept number cruncher about I would like to see a more accurate calculation if anyone fancies a go.

Try throwing a teenage daughter into the equation. :evil: They can often spend about 45 - 60 mins in the shower at peak usage times! :LOL:

EDIT

PS congrats on not buying that chinese c1r1a1p

arfurrrr said:
? QUESTION ?

Have you given notice to the Water Undertaker that you intend on fitting a pump which will deliver more than 12 ltrs/min :?:

Arf

No, I was not aware that this was a requirement.
Would you be able to elaborate?

Thanks
Mark

Water Supply (water fittings) Regulations 1999

Reg 5 -(1) any person who proposes tp install a water fitting in connection with any of the operations lited in the table below

(a) shall give notice to the water undertaker that he proposes to commence work
(b) shall not begin that work with out the consent of that undertaker which shall not be withheld unreasonably ; and
(c) shall comply with any condition to which the undertaker`s consent is subject .

Table:

4. the installation of :

(d) a pump or booster drawing more thatn 12 ltrs /min , connected directly or indirectly to a supply pipe .

make sure the installation is up to spec as the water regs also cover the misuse of water aswell . So you don`t want to be running off loads of cold water before you get to the hot stuff .

Also if the installation is in a new room , then this has to be notified to the LBC

arf

Mark if you want advice on how to do the job properly install a break tank and pump set.

I don't know the spec for your model but from past experience I would guess in the 80L/min range.

500 L/cylinder should be 2400 and at a minimum 3 bar, hot and cold.

My e addy is in my profile.

If you want someone to install it Bstyle is your man if he aint to busy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back