25 mm outlet connector to 40 mm waste pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a new washing machine and just tried to connect it up. But the waste pipe is 40 mm diam. and the machine's waste connector is 25 mm diam.

Could anyone tell me what I do in a case like this? I had a look on screwfix for a suitable connector but couldn't find anything obvious.

Sponsored Links
Depends where it is you wish to connect the drain hose? Is it to the trap underneath the sink or is there a separate section you wish it to drain to?

There are many appliance spigots available to suit many different situations. If you want to fit it to the trap underneath the sink then you may need to alter the trap.

th
th
th

Thanks. The waste pipe is just a vertical pipe a couple of cm off the wall . It is not near the kitchen sink. On the floor under it there is a small u-bend which then drains off somewhere below the floor. So I think I need something like your middle picture. I just spent some time searching "spigot" on screwfix. Is there some other site you'd recommend I try?

You have an open ended Washing machine standpipe, just push the 25mm hose down around 9"

Sponsored Links
@just pumps seriously?

with no fitting at all? Isn't there a risk that the hose might just jump out one day and flood everywhere? NB this is in a flat with another flat below it.

@just pumps seriously?

with no fitting at all? Isn't there a risk that the hose might just jump out one day and flood everywhere? NB this is in a flat with another flat below it.
Yes, seriously. The hose won`t jump out unless it is only just reaches the 40mm pipe, if in doubt then clip the hose in place to stop it moving.

If you have a stand pipe then you want to use pic 3 a McAlpine V33WM. It allows air to be drawn in otherwise it can cause a vacuum.

Whilst hooking the pipe over using the cold former @Nozzle described would be fine especially if you can't get to the back of the machine, I've seen them pulled out by unwitting kids reaching down the back of WM for their clothes etc. That was in a third floor flat ... the 2 downstairs neighbours weren't too pleased.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back