25 Pair Backbone cabling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

When looking through a catalogue I noticed this cable for sale.

Can somebody explain to me how this is used in a data cabling enviroment.

I'm looking at upgrading some cab to cab links so that we can have at least 4Gbps running between them using 4x 1000Base-T links and port trunking on the switches.

Presumably you cannot use this cable for patch panel to patch panel links because you would end up with masses of exposed pairs.

Is it designed to be used with some kind of intemediary block such as a krone block?

Also, why 25 pairs? Obviously 25 / 4 gives you 6.25 so do you just discard one of the pairs?

Sponsored Links
I have used 25 pair cables terminated on 50 way connectors.
fb050_pcs.jpg

These in turn plugged into pre-wired patch panels, with two cables per 24 way panel.
Each circuit used two pairs.
Only 24 pairs in each cable were used.

The application we were using these cables for only ran at speeds up to 9.6 Kbit/s, so it would probably have worked if we had hooked it all up with bits of damp string instead of patch leads.

Used for a multitude of things. Not specifically Gigabit networks.
Think more on the lines of large buildings where systems, of varying types, need comms.
Install one big fat one instead of several smaller ones through ducts/risers.

Hmm 9.6K wouldnt quite cut it in my case :LOL:

I was thinking more along the lines of taking it to an 110 Block on both ends and then from block to patch panel.

I'm sure with decent Cat5e cabling it would certify to Class D standards.

The 25 pair also looks appealing because I know its going to be a nightmare install, the electrical wiring in the part of the building that I'm working is a rats nest to say the least.

I'm still not sure though, i've never seen an installation done with 25 pair before so there must be a reason why.

Sponsored Links
Why can't you just terminate it directly on a patch panel. As long as you terminate it on adjacent sockets and make some judicious use of cable ties it shouldn't be that untidy.

Used for a multitude of things. Not specifically Gigabit networks.
Think more on the lines of large buildings where systems, of varying types, need comms.
Install one big fat one instead of several smaller ones through ducts/risers.

Yes it looks like useful cable.

We already use CAT5e for all sorts at work, phones, network, VGA, Audio, CCTV.

The possibilities seem endless with 25 pair cable, I'm just a bit cautious about purchasing it as there is only a very limited budget for the project, a bit of a one shot deal so if I couldnt certify it to a gig i'd be screwed.

Why can't you just terminate it directly on a patch panel. As long as you terminate it on adjacent sockets and make some judicious use of cable ties it shouldn't be that untidy.

I thought about this as well, I just dont like the idea of having so much of the pairs outside of the outer sheath.

But then again, when you factor in the losses that it will occur at the 110 blocks there is probably not much in it.

Sounds a bit like old block /switchboard wiring cable cable for pots.
The reason for 25 pr is that the usual run of colours for 10 pr telephone blocks wb/b,wo/o,wg/g,wb/b,ws/s where s is slate or grey and then repeated through the cable only the next set of a legs start with a all orange then all green till you have used up everything to slate hence 5x5 =25.
I wouldn't use it as the twist per meter will be nothing like cat 5 and you may get corruption of data.

Fibre is far better between patch locations - If you have several rooms, feed each room with fibre feeding a switch, and then patch from the switch to the patch panel.

Not ideal if you use the patch for voice and data though.

What was the spec for the cable? It isn't standard CW1308 is it? Thats standard telecoms cable used to feed DP's around a builing from a central location such as a PBX. It is classed as cat3.

Fibre is far better between patch locations - If you have several rooms, feed each room with fibre feeding a switch, and then patch from the switch to the patch panel.

Not ideal if you use the patch for voice and data though.

What was the spec for the cable? It isn't standard CW1308 is it? Thats standard telecoms cable used to feed DP's around a builing from a central location such as a PBX. It is classed as cat3.

No, definitely rated at Cat5e backbone cabling

This sort of thing;

http://www.homestead.co.uk/productcategorydetail.aspx?categoryid=55878

Not my supplier or brand but its an example.

I realise fibre is better, but we are on a tight budget with this one and the building is due to be demolished in 2 years.

How much distance is involved between the cabinets and how large is the budget?

Would that cable be capable of suporting 1000base over a large distance?

I would personally want to use fiber, but I apreciate the cost of buying modules for switches, cable and proper termination might be a problem.

What exactly are you wanting to do with this trunk? is it actually a 4gigabit pipe or 4 x 1gigabit links in order to give redundancy?

I can see why using a large single cable would be desireable, but in the event of a fault the whole link could go down, depending on how you have it configured.

What brand of switches are you using out of interest?

How much distance is involved between the cabinets and how large is the budget?

Approx 40M, and a few hunded quid

Would that cable be capable of suporting 1000base over a large distance?
As its Certified to Cat5e standards, you hope so. It should be able to support 1000Base-T over 90m for the permanent link and 100m for the channel

I would personally want to use fiber, but I apreciate the cost of buying modules for switches, cable and proper termination might be a problem.

Termination isnt a problem as I can do this myself, but having said this preterminated solutions are fast becoming the way to go with fibre

What exactly are you wanting to do with this trunk? is it actually a 4gigabit pipe or 4 x 1gigabit links in order to give redundancy?

It will be a 4Gb pipe using port trunking (4x 1Gb ports)

I can see why using a large single cable would be desireable, but in the event of a fault the whole link could go down, depending on how you have it configured.

Same thing applies to fibre links

What brand of switches are you using out of interest?
Cisco Catalyst

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back