25kg mirror over fireplace - worried about drilling into chinmey liner..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Another mirror thread :)

I want to mount the below mirror which weighs 25kg over a gas fireplace, the wall is solid and not plasterboard.

I have bought fischer high performance 50mm nylon plugs and plan on using m6x70mm coach screws. The mirror has 4 hook points that will sit on the coach screws.

I am a bit worried of drilling into the wall and catching the flue liner (i think thats what its called). I will be drilling 50mm into the wall for the plugs and leaving them hanging about 20mm. Does this sound about right?

Any advice to ensure I dont drill into anything I shouldnt over the fireplace.

A5WwGcQ.jpg

Vvc7aj3.jpg

Sponsored Links
It would be a very unusual construction if there were less than one brick width that you can safely drill into.

I would take that mirror back to the shop and get a proper mirror ! Guarantee you will take this ****e down within a year !!

Sponsored Links
Put a piece of tape on the drill bit so that you don't screw too far into the bricks. Your screws are less that the thickness of a brick, so make sure that you don't drill into mortar that may have corroded inside the chimney, and you should be fine.

Thanks for the replies, so I take 50mm nylon plugs and m6x70mm screws are strong enough to hold it up?

Should be. In fact, I'd say that 4x50mm (or a 6x2" or 8x2" if you want more peace of mind) screws should be fine. The mirror will have predominantly a downward force, and only a slightly forward pull, so 50m plugs and screw should be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back