28CDi RSF, Worcester

Always been a Worcester man myself until condensing compulsory, now gone onto fitting Ideal icos/isar at present due to Greenstars being overly unecessarily complicated, starting my third one on Wednesday, one I fitted week before last went in nicely in a cupboard and looked straightforward to service, my own 3 year old Isar looks ok on it's second service I did last week except for the hot water temp knob fell off, anyone else had this happen ?

Sponsored Links
I'm slightly brassed off, that i thought i was getting 5 star treatment from good old British Gas, when in actual fact i was getting a basic check up. If the BG Engineer thought there was some problem, surely they would of mentioned it, even if it wasn't safety related.
(I would of thought that anything related to a Gas appliance would be safety related).You live and learn, but to be fair perhaps there was no problem to be found the last time it was given the laptop treatment.

If your boiler is 5 years old then it will have the old junkers gas valve,it does have a habit of min gas pressure dropping ,thats not a problem if its serviced properly. Get your service eng to set the min gas to 1.0mb and check the flame sensor it should have between 5 and 8 micro volts in series at min gas but as the burner has to come out to service the boiler its easier to just replace it.The flame sensor lead is strapped to the expansion vess pipe so if this strap is intact your boiler has not been serviced properly.

Thaks COG. That sort of info is why I'm still around!

Sponsored Links
Update......

Had a Worcester service engineer out today, £170 with 3 parts fitted, and he has serviced the boiler.

The air expansion thingy was empty, - no pressure.

The fan was replaced, had not realised how noisey the old one had become.

The boiler had been running too hot, there wasn't enough air coming in, so he has removed a restricter plate from outside ?, this over heating had caused a something switch to crystalise and this was the cause of tripping the boiler.

He said the amount of people who think that Brit**h G*s have serviced there boilers , but in fact they have only safety checked it.

The boiler is now running fine, Mrs Dunkyboy now very happy.

He recommended that we put the room thermostate to about 23- 25 region and then to turn down the radiator thermostates to 3 to start with and see if it's warm enough, and turn them up a little bit more if needed, this is a more efficient way of heating rather than having them on number 6 all the time which is what we had been doing.

He also said to have the boiler controls on full for both the radiators and hot water as this will be more efficient.

Hope this is of some use for Worcester owners.......

Leaving the ch dial on max is wrong unless your house needs the full output of the boiler the most economic position is off (but a bit cold) if you slowley raise it day by day till its comfy to find an ideal position.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back