2gang 2way switch wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi seemed simple at first,now its getting to me.
The old 2way switch in the passage,operates the passage light and the light at top of stairs.
The switch is wired---------- at top--- common---R1----R2 there is a red wire going to R1 and there is another red wire between common and R1
At the bottom R2---R1----common---- there is a red wire going to R1 and single black wires going to R2 and common.

The switch i bought 6amp 2gang 2way have both common at top and
1way----2way marked at the bottom.

I thought the old switch related to switch at top and switch at bottom and wired the new switch the same----no joy nothing worked ie R1 being 1way
R2 being 2way.
Be grateful for any comments

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I'll have a go! First thing pull the fuses and make sure all the wires are dead.
$
The switch is wired---------- at top--- common---R1----R2 there is a red wire going to R1 and there is another red wire between common and R1

Put the red wire into the common (doesnt matter which one) and then link the common terminals together.

$
At the bottom R2---R1----common---- there is a red wire going to R1 and single black wires going to R2 and common.

On the LHS (stairs ) put the red and black into r1 and r2, on the RHS (passage) put the black into r1.

Refit switch, replace fuse and try it!

PS r1 = 1way, r2 = 2way

Thankyou for the reply i will try tomorrow (its my neighbours switch)
let you know how i get on.

Cheers pal connected as you said,everything now works as it should.
Many thanks
Regards
Tagfel

quotes removed

mod9

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back