Wiring a 3 gang switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I previously had 3 lights wired to a 4 gang switch (2 banks of 2), with one switch not used. I need to replace with a 3 gang switch. Can anyone tell me how to wire the switch?

There are 4 terminals on the top: Com, 1way, 2way, Com, and 5 terminals on the bottom: 1way, 2way, COM, 1way, 2way.

Sponsored Links
My guess is that the COMs on the top go to the L1/L2s at the bottom, and vice-versa, but if the switch came with no wiring instructions then you should do due diligence and confirm that with your multimeter.

Once identified, then you just wire it up in the same way that the 3 used groups of terminals in your 4-gang switch are wired up.

i think it will be like this:
3gang.png

A piece of paper and a pen are never nearby when you are ripping the wires out of an electrical accessory.....

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
A piece of paper and a pen are never nearby when you are ripping the wires out of an electrical accessory.....

Oh yes they are! I never start a job without me trusty clipboard!!

Neither do I, DB. I was directing a little frustrated sarcasm at Sosban..

I find the times it comes in most handy are when you are trying to diagnose what the last fifteen tradesmen have done to the wiring!! By the time the plumber's taken off spurs for the washing machine, dishwasher, boiler, etc and then the kitchen fitter's moved a few sockets and added a few more, then the decorator's moved a lightswitch after the chippy's re-hung a door and the spread has plastered over a few JB's, you need Hercule Poirot to solve the bleeding mystery!

Thanks for the comments. I've now sorted out the problem. The main difficulty was in identifying the wires. I had 8 reds and 3 green (earth).

dingbat said:
I find the times it comes in most handy are when you are trying to diagnose what the last fifteen tradesmen have done to the wiring!! By the time the plumber's taken off spurs for the washing machine, dishwasher, boiler, etc and then the kitchen fitter's moved a few sockets and added a few more, then the decorator's moved a lightswitch after the chippy's re-hung a door and the spread has plastered over a few JB's, you need Hercule Poirot to solve the bleeding mystery!
I know you can get devices which inject a signal into a circuit so that you can identify it back at the board - are they any good for tracing buried cables?

ban-all-sheds said:
I know you can get devices which inject a signal into a circuit so that you can identify it back at the board - are they any good for tracing buried cables?

Dunno. I've tried a variety of power tracers with limited success but it's not usually the cable routes I'm so bothered about as why the Zs readings suddenly start increasing when they shouldn't be!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back