2nd hot water cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2nd hot water cylinder
Hello would appreciate some fedback on this please , I have a y plan sytem in place , a 115litre hot water tank heated
indirect via boiler , no immersion heater fitted ( could not remove cap , did bot want to risk damage to tank)
ok and i have an abundance of electricity coming form my solar panels .
The easiest opetion for me to utilise this excess electricity is by installing a combination hot water cylinder , hetaed only by the immersion element . I would lik eto fit this in the loft , and when needed , to switch on and say close a gate valve fitted to outlet of existing hwc and then to open outlet of new hwc which will be plumbed into existing hot water supply .
the existing hwc is in the airing cupboard on 2nd floor of the house , the new hwc i propose to install in loft alomost above th eairing cuboard . my question being is this okay to do ? and do i have to have a seperate overflow from new hwc or can i plumb it into existing overflow pipe running along the roof space ?
thanks .

Sponsored Links
This seems a very odd way of addressing the problem.

Keeping the first cylinder stagnant is not a very good way of keeping healthy.

Getting the plug out of the old one shouldn't be hard, you could always stitch drill it like a poster here recommends (secosystems). Wasn't my idea but like all good ideas is obvious.

Then just use your current cylinder; or replace that for a new one with a bottom immersion boss. Adding a second one is pointless.

If you want to make use of PV in the summer there are some clever units that measure incoming vs outgoing current via clamps, and then run a 13a immersion through what is in essence a dimmer.

When you are net exporting electricity the current clamps measure the amount in Kw and drive the immersion heater with this otherwise wasted power. The system responds dynamically during the day to allow for changes in sunlight and household power usage.

Otherwise if you are not careful you'll be buying some electricity at 14p per kwh, which removes the whole point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back