2nd rad from 10mm pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people,

Have a rad supplied by 10mm copper, customer wants a new rad installed and only easy place is teeing into this 10mm feeding a rad.

Im not sure but I think all the rads are fed from single 10mm drops.

As long as I get the rad calcs right, ive read 4kw is the max for 10mm pipe? Is this doable? Not ideal I know.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
although not advisable have seen it done with a couple of smallish rads (1200mm/600mm) and worked ok
But i wouldnt do it and if someone was they should say i will try it but not promising anything

Sponsored Links
Pointless quoting the maximum's though isn't it, we don't know what system it is, how long the pipe length is currently and what size rad that 10mm is feeding.

In saying that, teeing off a 10mm is never a good idea, do it right or not at all, if the customer doesn't want to pay for a proper job, then walk away because it will only do your reputation harm.

6 months later...

"oh, who installed these two lukewarm radiators, it's freezing in here"

...as condensation runs down the wall.

Pointless quoting the maximum's though isn't it, we don't know what system it is, how long the pipe length is currently and what size rad that 10mm is feeding.

In saying that, teeing off a 10mm is never a good idea, do it right or not at all, if the customer doesn't want to pay for a proper job, then walk away because it will only do your reputation harm.

Well, I was responding to the OP and other posts, about the capacity of pipes, and it's the starting point - and that was really their intial question.

Obviously there are a bunch of other considerations as you point out as to what pipe size would be required. Though I would hope that someone being paid for this can work all that out.

That's the kind of maximum whith a flow which is not deemed excessively noisy.

The practical flow rates in practice depend on the length of pipe, rarely less than 4m and the pump pressure.

With standard domestic pumps nothing like those figures will ever be achieved in any practical installation.

Tony

Hi,

Thanks guys, pretty much what I was worried about, will discuss with customer.

Worst case we maybe be able to pull the floor up above and pipe up a new drop.

She was hoping we could do it before Christmas, no chance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back