New Rad 10mm or 15mm feed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to install a 600 x 1600 type 22 double panel rad (2861W) to the right of the door below in the back half of my converted basement.
[/img]

There is an existing single panel 700 x 1800 rad to the right of the open door in the pic fed with 10mm pipe

The 10mm for the existing rad is fed from 15mm some 1.5 metres away.

The run from where I could Tee into the 10mm to the position of the new rad is 6.5 metres, from the 15mm it would be 7.5 metres.

Given the size of the new rad and distance would 10mm suffice or should I run 15mm?

Many thanks in anticipation

Sponsored Links
I would simply change the existing radiator to a double panel double convector that will give twice the heat of that single.

I would simply change the existing radiator to a double panel double convector that will give twice the heat of that single.

Thanks, that's food for thought.

Its a bloody big basement though, we we only use and heat it from time to time and so need more rapid heat up. Both existing rads are near the front. Our TV flat screen, bar and seating is nearer the back and my thoughts were that an extra rad would help warm it up quicker and provide more heat at the back where we sit

Sponsored Links
Oh. You might want to give this a try.
A radiator fan. It will drag the heat out of the radiator for fast heat ups.
You could try it on your existing radiator.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Radiator-...Air&hash=item2a231e55e4#ht_2446wt_932[/QUOTE]

I bought one for an undersized radiator and it just turned out to be an expensive noise maker. The principle of fan assisted convection is sound enough but this product doesn't work.

It steals a 2 foot length of natural convection from the top of the radiator and a tiny fan attempts to push that air out through a small hole. I reckon it causes a net loss of output.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I bought one for an undersized radiator and it just turned out to be an expensive noise maker. The principle of fan assisted convection is sound enough but this product doesn't work.

It steals a 2 foot length of natural convection from the top of the radiator and a tiny fan attempts to push that air out through a small hole. I reckon it causes a net loss of output.

Yes

I read about these when researching radio controlled thermostatic valves, all the reviews complained of noise and unreliability of the fan.

BTW I went with 15mm and the new rad does the job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back