2x6 cross batten onto joist or parallel & screw into tru

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm having a hatch put in shortly and looking at adding insulation and boarding now. Quite a few people on this forum have said that adding cross battens are better than loft stilts as they spread the load better. The issue is that to get close to the 270mm recommended insulation, adding 2"x4" onto my existing 35mm x 100mm joists is not enough, I would need to add 35mmx150mm (or maybe 2"x6") cross battens, giving me roughly 250mm depth.

Would this be OK on 35mmx100mm joists? The centres are all slightly different, but roughly 500mm. I only plan to board out the middle part of the attic, between the trusses.

When a handyman came round to quote putting in the loft hatch (not up to that job myself), he casually recommended instead that I put in 150mm deep battens parallel to the existing joists and actually screwed into the side of the trusses, above where they meet the joists, as he said the trusses are load bearing, so if I place the battens parallel to the joists, across the middle span, and screw them into the side of the truss at each side, then there is much less chance that my ceiling would bow from the extra weight. Does this sound reasonable to you guys? or do you think I should go with the standard cross-batten approach?

And also, is 35x150mm (or 2"x6") battens on top of 35x100mm joists ok in weight terms, to then lay 18mm chipboard on top of

If you can see the attached image properly, you will see that the previous owner already chucked some fairly hefty 22mm board up there just laid across joists, compressing the 150mm insulation that has been loosely throw about. I'd take this out and replace with slightly lighter (smaller) 18mm panels probably

Would really appreciate any advice, opinions or alternative suggestions that you have.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I personally would never use the loft space as a storage area, having said that plenty of people do.
If you are looking to use it for light storage then the loft stilts will work fine.

If you are intending to put a lot of weight up there then cross battens is the way to go.

Don't follow your handyman's advice!

I personally would never use the loft space as a storage area, having said that plenty of people do.
If you are looking to use it for light storage then the loft stilts will work fine.

If you are intending to put a lot of weight up there then cross battens is the way to go.

Don't follow your handyman's advice!

Thanks for replying. Is there any particular reason why putting in parallel battens, screwed into the trusses is a bad idea. Is it because it could weaken the truss?

How wide is he house?
Would it be possible to fit joist hangers from the gable walls which would allow you to fit at any height, giving you 270mm and transferring all weight onto the brick walls?
The only issue with this idea is getting the lengths of timber through the house and into the loft!
Nick.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

@Nicksun , The house is approximately 6m from gable end wall to the shared party wall with the neighbour at the other side. That is also the length of attic that I would like to board out, from one end to the other between the trusses. I would then Leave the area from the trusses to the eaves on each side unchanged and put additional loft roll on top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back