3.6m bay on closeboard fetheredge fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone done 3.6m bays on a feather edge fence with cant rails on recessed concrete posts?
The norm is 3 or 2.4 meters but I was talking to a builders merchant the other day and he said they suggest 3.6 bays which is the length of the cant rail.
I know if really depends on the area and what weather you have but even with a sump post isn't it a bit of a risk?

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your reply Arron, where can I find a copy of The Standard for Fencing, I'd like to show them as I agree with it. I've googled but nothing seems to come up.

I know its common practise especially in the south of england but i can't believe 3m bays are allowed.

Personally i use maximum 7ft centres for even low fences.

Who writes this 'standard for fencing'?

Sponsored Links
I've looked in BS 1722-5-2006 and unless I've missed it I can't see any reference to bay size/
What section is it in?

I know that when I did my fence, speaking to the fencing supplier, they suggested the 3.6m rails as well, but suggested to go over two bays with this length, so that each rail is attached to 3 posts, and each rail join is staggered to the one above or below. This makes the whole fence stronger. I live in a very windy spot and the fence is exposed so this suited me fine, even though it meant more posts.

This is still a 1.8m bay which equates to a bit shy of 6 foot, so doesn't look too small or weird in anyway.

EDIT: further thought, a 3.6m run is shy of 12feet, but chances are your cant rails will end up bowing under the weight of the fencing hanging off it.

I've looked in BS 1722-5-2006 and unless I've missed it I can't see any reference to bay size/
What section is it in?

9.2 Posts
For palisade fences and for close-boarded fences where a gravel board
is included, posts shall be provided at intervals of not more than 3 m,
measured centre-to-centre of the posts. For close-boarded fences that
do not have a gravel board, the maximum distance shall be 2.4 m
between post centres

i think with 3m bays a centre stump is a must.

even at that i'm amazed so many are installed in that manner.

It must work in most circumstances though to have become the norm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back