3 Amp Mains Fuse suitable for a Fridge Freezer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My parent's house really needs a larger fridge, they have just a small table-top one running on a socket that has a 3-amp mains fuse (in the fuse box).
But i'm not sure if that is good enough, the fridge freezer i'm looking at is an A+ rated one which states 253kw/h per year.

I should also mention that their wiring is very old (still have old round pin plugs!) but unfortunately that can't be upgraded at the moment.

Any idea?

Sponsored Links
I would expect the fridge to be drawing around 6-7 Amps.
Do you have a link to the appliance might be something in the spec that gives a power rating.
You really need to consider having the property's wiring properly inspected.
EICR (electrical installation condition report)
As it could well be potentially dangerous!

... it has a 3-amp mains fuse (in the fuse box).....

It would most likely be rewireable fuses with a wire element... there has never been 3A fuse wire commonly available..... I suspect you mean 5A which would prob be OK for the fridge freezer.

To be sure, you need to find out exactly what it says on the rating plate of the device you wish to use.

Also, confirm whether the round pin plugs taht you have are 5A or 15A

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back