3 core and earth - but don't need the earth..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When using 3 core and earth but I don't need the earth - what's best practice - just snip the earth as close to the sheath as possible or something else? This is for a bathroom fan with run on timer. It is isolated by a triple pole switch. The fan doesn't have an earth connection (double insulated).

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
The earth conductor whether needed or not should be earthed at the supply end and left useably long, sleeved and terminated in a terminal block or similar at the end where it is ( today ) not needed.

I wouldn't cut it down because you don't know what will happen for future installations.

I would screw end into connection block and tape up in green/yellow insulation tape.

Sponsored Links
Andy, FYI, that bare copper wire is called the circuit protective conductor. It must be earthed at one end to do its job (ie to trip the fuse if there is a fault on the cable).

Its also needed for the electrician when he does an earth fault loop impedance test.

dont connect it either end if its an lv fan (load side).could possibly put 240v in an illegal zone in the event of a fault

Yes, partly true but if its an LV fan (load side) then the 3-wire connection to the timer and transformer will be remote from the (LV) fan with only 2 wires needed from the transformer to the fan.

A 3 wire connection, with earthed cpc, will be required from the fan isolator to the transformer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back