Connecting a replacement bathroom extractor

OK here's some clarification.

1. I do have an opening window, so no timer needed.

2. I want the fan to operate independently of the light switch.

I therefore have used the pole isolator to switch the "permanent" live and have connected the "permanent" live to the fan (brown sleeving). I have connected the neutral (grey with blue tape) to the neutral connection.

Now, regarding the switched live. This was spurred from the "out" of the light switch with a short piece of black core feeding into the L2 "in" of the pole isolator. I have disconnected and completely removed this short section of black sleeved core.

I have two ends of a black sleeved core left. One end was connected to the "L2 out" of the pole switch and the other end coming out of the fan hole. Both of these are now not connected to anything (with insulating tape over the ends - is this OK?).

So I now have a light switch which controls the lights only via a ceiling rose arrangement.

The fan is now controlled on it's own via a pole isolator controlling the permanent live (spurred out of the ceiling rose) which then makes this a switched live to the fan.

Make sense? It works OK! ;)

Sponsored Links
Only thing is its the cable ends that are not used eg earth and switch wire should be in crimps or connectors not just in tape.
It also sounds like it wasnt wired right in the first place[the old fan] was it a two core coming into the isolator and a three core out just out of interest

Sealeon, thanks for the tip I will pick some crips/connectors up (would chock block type things do?)

The fan was all wired up with 3 core and earth - going into the pole switch, out of the pole switch and to the fan.

Having it where it only came on with the lights was a pain. I'm much happier with it now (well I will be when I put crimps/connectors on).

Thanks all for the advice and help, enjoy the rest of your weekends!! :D

AndersonC

Sponsored Links
I have two ends of a black sleeved core left. One end was connected to the "L2 out" of the pole switch and the other end coming out of the fan hole. Both of these are now not connected to anything (with insulating tape over the ends - is this OK?).

Any unused cores should really be connected to earth to avoid capacitive coupling meaning a potential difference could appear between the spare core and earth.

You could just leave the switch wire (black with brown sleeving) connected at the light fitting, 3 pole isolator and just place a connector block on the end at the fan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back