help needed with bathroom light

At least I have identified the 3c&e with 2 spares.

New pics now in my album under shower switch. Retaken this time lighter and a bit clearer

The cable has been removed. It effectively put the showers 45A fuse on the lighting circuit.

I have disconnected the other new colour 3c&e too, which I assumed is for the new fan but it goes to the new wall switch, I listed the connections wrong before brown goes to com and it was switching between neutral and the lamp so it was on or blowing the trip. It is at least working now with only 1 swicth which we can cope with till its sorted.

Thanks for the words of help.

Sponsored Links
At least I have identified the 3c&e with 2 spares.

New pics now in my album under shower switch. Retaken this time lighter and a bit clearer

The cable has been removed. It effectively put the showers 45A fuse on the lighting circuit.

I have disconnected the other new colour 3c&e too, which I assumed is for the new fan but it goes to the new wall switch, I listed the connections wrong before brown goes to com and it was switching between neutral and the lamp so it was on or blowing the trip. It is at least working now with only 1 swicth which we can cope with till its sorted.

Thanks for the words of help.

Well I admit I would never have predicted what that single brown was for or how it was connected, whoever did that needs putting down. Like you I also assumed the other new looking 3C&E was for the fan, I am now not sure I want to make any more guesses on this one.

Just realised how scary that arrangement was.

You say 45A fuse. Is it a fuse or MCB (trip)?

If its a fuse then from memory I think thats 18SWG tinned copper, and from lookup that works out to be 1.15mm2.
In other words if your lighting circuits are wired in 1mm2 its almost a toss up what would blow first, the fuse or the wiring (it should be the fuse unless there is a damaged wire ie by stripping).

My question, has there ever been any chance that he shower was switched on when the light got switched off or has there been a really big bang?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that ColJack
View media item 13755just to test

Sunray I dont think the shower was on at all as we are very good at switching it off when we finish and I dont recall any particularly louder bangs.

I have removed the single brown cable and disconnected the other 3c&e
and checked it with a meter to make sure its the switch cable. Both lights work ok on the switch thats left but now the fan does not run. Is that what I ought to expect?
Im not bothered that it doesnt run we never wanted it there in the first place as we always open the window oh and do I need the fan switch? I saw on another thread that its not needed if theres a window

Terry

Hows it going?

Found a new builder, his electrician found:

Fuse box's needed replacing. - Replaced
Broken socket. - Replaced.
2 sockets on spur. - Included them onto ring.
Hall & stairs 2way switching wrong, hence blowing 2 trips. - Rewired into 2 circuits which is better.
Bathroom light wiring. - Fitted large box in loft, now just 1 cable at light.

He and new builder wave done a wonderful job and has all been passed by planning officer, except he says I don't need a switch for the bathroom fan as there is a window, is he right?

By the way my original builder (2 brothers) were arrested which is why they didn't complete and so far I have not paid them! but they roofer they employed has been.

Glad its all sorted, and thats not bad 5 problems which you knew about 3 of.
Personally I would have fitted the fan isolator, especially as it was laying there!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back