Installing a bathroom extractor fan - Finally got it working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm trying to replace an old extractor fan in my bathroom which has blown a switch, so I've bought a new one.

The replacement one I've bought is for use with a 2 core flex.

My old one had a 3 core flex (ie. spot for L, N and L1).

Only problem is I have two separate flexes to chose from.
- Flex #1: The first flex has a black wire, a red wire and an earth.
- Flex #2: The second flex has a blue wire, a red wire, an earth, and a yellow (but with red about it).

The two earth wires have been separately isolated.

I originally put the blue and black into the N, then the two reds into the L, but the fan kept going even though the light had been off for abour 2 hours! That left a yellow wire (which had a bit of red around it as well so identify it as a red I think), which I left off to the side.

I then put the yellow wire (with the red bit around it), into L with the other two red wires. Same thing happened, the fan didn't go off even after the light was off.

I then have tried different the following combinations:

1. Black from Flex One in N, with Red from Flex Two in L
2. Black from Flex One in N, with Red from Flex One in L.
3. Blue from Flex Two in N, with Red from Flex Two in L.
4. Blue from Flex Two in N, with red from Flex One in L.
5. Black from Flex One and Blue from Flex Two in N, then Red from Flex Two in L.
6. Black from Flex One in N, with Red from Flex One and Red from Flex Two in L.
7. Blue from Flex Two in N, with Red from Flex One and Red from Flex Two in L.

I don't seem to be having any luck. :cry:

Can someone please please please help me! :( :(

Have I got this wrong because I have the wrong type of fan (ie. its a Marley Basic model for use with 2 core flex). Do I need a fan with a 3 core flex instead? :?:

Alternatively, have I got this wrong because of my wiring? :oops:

see 1a

Sponsored Links
Try Blue and Yellow into N & L respectively.

And put some choc-block on all the unused cores to make them safe...

Dear Mr Ban-All-Sheds,

I'll give your wiring solution a go, but tell me about this Choc Block stuff because I don't know what it is and I don't have any.

What is it, and what does it look like :?:

Can I use electrical tape around the unused wires instead to make them :?:

:LOL:

P.S. Sorry Mr. Moderator for getting impatient last night. I have now read the rules, not just 1a.

P.P.S. I love this web site. i think it is truly sexy, but can't seem able to "do a quote". Any tips :?:

NO you can not use insulation tape.

for choc block look in for refernce posts

also note my signature

Sponsored Links
Dear Mr. Breezer,

A few questions for you, because you are clearly a guru at this.....

1. What's wrong with using electical/insultating tape :?: :eek: :oops:

2. Also, can you please provide me with a link to "Reference Posts" - I can't find it anywhere on this web site.

3. Do you have an image of a choc block?

Many thanks

Aussie Bloke

1) its a bodge, doesnt insulate so well, shows signs of poor workmanship, it also loses it adhesive properties and detatches from whence it was afixed

2) if you can not be bothered to look then i can not be bothered to tell you where it is.

3) see above

4) try harder

Breezer,

Thanks for that. While you were penning me another solution, I added two more questions to my last reply, so you answered questions 1, but I have a further 2 (see question #2 and #3).

Any ideas?

Thanks

Aussie Bloke.

Hey Breezer,

I have looked and looked and "Choc Block" also doesn't exist under the search function. I also looked under the shop and couldn't find it there.

Please please help me out here. Help me find the link and maybe even an image of this device.

Cheers

Aussie Bloke.

P.S. Yes, you are too fast for me. :evil:

I've tried using the yellow wire from Flex #2 in L, and the lights went on ok, but the fan isn't going.

I need another wiring solution please.

Aussie Bloke
______________________-

[please note 10a :oops: sorry i have also deleted your "its fixed post"
------------------------

Well :!: :!: :!: For the benefit of the audience, I'll RETYPE my solution. It was to put the Blue Wire from Flex #2 and the Black Wire from Flex #1 in B, with the Yellow Wire from Flex #2 in L. ;)

My problem now is that I have a fan with no timer, and I have heard they are good to avoid damp. The one I had before was a Manrose (with a timer) and the one I have now is a cheap and chearful Marley with no timer. I've seen on this web site under the Shop a fan with a Humidifier protector. Does anyone know what this is/does :?:

Aussie bloke said:
Does anyone know what this is/does :?:
it switches off when the humidity reaches a pre set level.

but the easiest option is to leave your fan running for say 5 mins longer and open a window

Come on cobber !!
Chocs galore http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Accessories_Index/Connector_Strips/index.html
TLC-Direct said:
ChocBox Terminal Strip Box / Cover
A safe and simple solution to protect and insulate electrical connections
Connector cover, Junction Box or inline connector designed to meet
the requirements of the I.E.E regulations. i.e insulation of bare connections

CHOCBOXA.JPG

For reference : - About fans :- //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=13
:eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back