Help, light junction box problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people, hope someone can help me. I was recently trying to wire a new light in my living room. So me being me decided to yank all the wires out b4 thinking. I didnt realise it was a junction box, now i have no lights in my kitchen n Bathroom, every other light works fine, only that one circuit.
Problem i have is i cant remember which order the wires were in the box, i have 3 main wires coming from the ceillng, all with a red blue n earth wire.
On the box there is 8 clips n one for earth, 3 first labeled flex, then another 3 labelled loop-in, then the other 2 labelled flex. Theres a seperate clip for the earth wire so i know where that goes.
Any help much appreciated.

Earth
()

Flex Loop-in Flex
() () () () () () () ()

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks in advance
Paul

oh i forgot, theres a blue scribble next to the first flex, n red scribble on the other flex label.

Sponsored Links
This has all been covered several times on this forum and search in the ref section will show you what you need to know.
Basically you need to identify which of those cables is the switch wire and its plain sailing from there.

You need to identify which wire comes from the switch, with the power off put a mulimeter on continuity setting on the red and black (its not blue) of each wire in turn and have an assistant flick the switch back and forth

When you have identified the switch cable, sleeve the black from the switch as red (or brown unless you have some red sleeving laying around from when it was available), then all the proper reds go to the middle, the black sleeved as red goes to one side terminal, and the other two blacks go to the other, the flex to the lamp holder connects with blue with the two blacks, and brown with the black thats sleeved as red

Hope this helps

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much adam for explaining, even tho the answer is already in the forum somewhere, its much appreciated, will follow your guide n see how i get on, ta ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back