help needed with bathroom light

Sponsored Links
YYeeeaaaahhhh found it

in a red and white cardboard box in amoungst a pile of stuff left in the loft

No its not been fitted yet.

Can it be in the loft? Theres a loop of cable in a box beside a light switch in the loft. Its about as wide as a 2.5mm but no where near as thick so I reckon its one of the 3cores with a bare earth.

Sponsored Links
My first thought was 'wow how did they get all those in there?' but its not as bad as it could have been.

Sorry posted advice now removed.

Not sure that it's a good idea to have those grey & black cores with exposed conductors almost touching that bare earth....

if they are unused both ends then what's the harm? they're supposed to be tied to earth anyway if they're unused.. no wildly floating coupled voltages then..

Have you just temporarily removed the wires to the fitting from the strain relief lugs, or was it installed like that?

If your loft isn't boarded out ( or they come up easily ) then I'd think about re-wiring the upstairs light circuit.. it sounds like a hell of a mess..

Hi

the loft area has had a fair amount of work done in the last month, that area has just been fully boarded over with 8x2 chipboard and pretty much across the light theres a partition across the floorboards. I have checked every other ceiling rose today, they prettymuch have 3 red 3 black and 3 earth wires and most switch's and sockets have been replaced in the last 6 months and they are all as they should be, earthed box etc. this fitting in deffinately the odd one out and it has been got at recently by my builders (now gone bust)

probably wants a live or switched live somewhere.. all he had was 3C+E and rather then run out and but a role of single brown and earth, he used what he had..

probably wants a live or switched live somewhere.. all he had was 3C+E and rather then run out and but a role of single brown and earth, he used what he had..

Thats my assumption too, I think I have worked out what all the cables are for except this 3c&e (which is connected to switched live) but I'm not comfortable putting my thoughts forwards as there a lot of room for error on this one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back