Bathroom extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I purchased a new fan for my bathroom. The old fan is permanently on even when light is off so I purchased a new one with a timer the wiring on old on is brown, black with brown sleeve grey with blue sleeve and Earth. I put the brown to the L, then the grey with blue sleeve too the N and the black with the brown sleeve to the T1 but it does not work please help see pictures of old fan and new fan. The new one is the one with green connector block. There is an isolating switch outside the bathroom and a switch on the wall that operates the light but I am stumped.I have also added a picture of isolating switch

Attachments

• IMG_1466.jpeg
    IMG_1466.jpeg
    183.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1467.jpeg
    IMG_1467.jpeg
    261.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1472.jpeg
    IMG_1472.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The normal first step is to test, I use one of these Testing for live.jpg but there are other methods, I see nothing wrong with what you have done, so what have you got to test with?

I have a multimeter.
The old fan never worked by the light switch as it was just on permanently if I wanted to turn off I used the isolation switch above the door. All the fans in house are permanently on light switch on the wall does not turn them on or off only the isolation switch above the door. so not sure how to wire new fan with timer.

The normal first step is to test, I use one of these View attachment 299988 but there are other methods, I see nothing wrong with what you have done, so what have you got to test with?
I have a multimeter.
The old fan never worked by the light switch as it was just on permanently if I wanted to turn off I used the isolation switch above the door. All the fans in house are permanently on light switch on the wall does not turn them on or off only the isolation switch above the door. so not sure how to wire new fan with timer.

Sponsored Links
Your old fan appears to be the type that has a timer the same as your new one. If it is only operated by the switch above the door it will never go off without switching it off there. The timer just keeps the fan running for a set time after the fan is switched off. You need supply from the light switch to the isolator (presume you mean fan isolator switch rather than a single pole switch) if that is how you want them to work.

Last edited:
No old fan stays on no timer when I wire new fan in it will not work at all and I have wired same as old fan. See picture of old fan wires and new fan with green connection block and picture of isolated switch

Attachments

• IMG_1466.jpeg
    IMG_1466.jpeg
    183.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1467.jpeg
    IMG_1467.jpeg
    261.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1472.jpeg
    IMG_1472.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Many an hour wasted over faulty new products.

Do you have 230V between L & N and T & N

Edited.

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s the product as took one back and they replaced it but that one was the same I think it’s got to be the wiring when I connected the old one it works but new timed one will not see pictures of old fan new fan and isolator switch.

Attachments

• IMG_1466.jpeg
    IMG_1466.jpeg
    183.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1467.jpeg
    IMG_1467.jpeg
    261.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1472.jpeg
    IMG_1472.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 43
There is a black wire in the isolation switch but not connected ? Did you see picture of isolation switch

There is a black wire in the isolation switch but not connected ? Did you see picture of isolation switch
Yes, the black wire isn't connected.

With your multimeter, (carefully) check that the wires in the L2 terminal (of the isolator), become live, when the light switch is turned on.

If they do, connect the black wire to the empty L2 terminal.

Last edited:
Yes, the black wire isn't connected.

With your multimeter, (carefully) check that the wires in the L2 terminal (of the isolator), become live, when the light switch is turned on.

If they do, connect the black wire to the empty L2 terminal.
That’s it all works that was the problem thank you so much I really appreciate it many thanks :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back