Extractor fan isolator switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have been looking for a diagram with the new 3 core and earth wires for wiring a extractor fan to the isolator switch in my bathroom. There is a lovely easy to follow diagram in the sticky pages (if your unsure how to do it) but this is with the old wire colours (red blue and yellow).
now i take it that you would swap the wires with the following new colours yellow - grey, red - brown, and blue - black.
However, in my isolator switch (volex) a nice detailed drawing came with it that had me attaching my brown wire to my switched line and my grey wire to the looped live connection? surely that is wrong?
I thought it would be brown to the looped live, grey (with brown sleeving) to the switched live and black to the neutral.
I just cant find any confirmation on this on this site or the IEE site or NICEIC site.
Any advice helpful peeps, or does it not matter as long as the colours or correctly sleeved? just looking for info to prove it does matter, a link to the page?
cheers

Sponsored Links
cheers for the reply :D

as stated in my previous mail, the volex wiring has the brown wire attached to the switched live and the grey wire to the looped live. this is what is confusing me so I am unsure if it is written in stone how to connect them, is it possible to stay with the way i have wired it, brown as the loop live and grey as the switched live with brown sleeving and black as the neutral with blue sleeving?
everybody knows that in two core it is always brown live and blue neutral, but there doesnt seem to be anythign exactly statign which colours or what in the 3 core, i guess this is because the cable is used in various applications?
thanks again

I don't like that you say it is the "recognised way" of using the new colours..

many don't do it that way and the link to the pdf you posted mentions no such recomendation, only the replacement colours for harmonisation..

I prefer to use black as neutral because it was neutral, just as i used to use blue for neutral as it was ( and still is ) the neutral colour in flex..

in mixed installs, where old and new colours are used, this ensures that the blacks are still recognised as neutral...

when replacing switches etc, I sleeve red with brown, and black with blue..

Sponsored Links
ColJack, the colour change document, and every doc relating to this subject, gives the colours as i have laid out above. The IEE doc is very clear in teh colour equivalents for three phase installations are also as I have indicated.

I guess u don't do too much 3-phase but whne the IEE state what the colour changes are I would prefer to stick to that as the base line rather than have to think "oh, but this is a single phase installation and ColJack may have been here with his weird colours again"

In an absolute sense, you could use the brown for neutral and sleeve it blue!
The reason they chose the above was
a) cos it conforms with what most of our neighnours do
and
b) it gets people AWAY from using black for neutral because it isnt, necessarily, unless there's a K in the month.

Never do a rewire iof a fan or 3 phase at Kristmas then. LOL

I`d go with R = loop, Y = Sw & Blue = Nuetral
therefore Brown = loop, Black = Sw & Grey = nuetral.

I always red sleeved the yellow but rarely black sleeved the blue but now always brown & blue sleeve the Black & grey respectively.

We never shoulda changed to these "Killer Colours" anyway but there yer go.

FYI, I am an industrial electrician and use 3 phase on a daily basis and am fully aware of what colours changed to what..

it does however, not specify what colours to use for what function in using 3 phase wires for single phase installs..
so I can use grey for switched live and black as neutral if I so choose.. just as I could have used blue for switched live and yellow as neutral.....

they really shouldn't be using 3 phase colours for these wires anyway..

you can get tripple brown and earth which would be more suitable for domestic use..

untill they settle this argument definitively in the regs, each installer will have their own way of doing things..

if i come to a mixed install where someone has installed a fan or emergency light, then using your colours the, black from the feed would go to the grey of the new cable, the red from the twin red switch wire to the black of the new cable and the red from the live feed to the brown...

i can forsee a problem there when a DIY'er comes to change the light and connects all the blacks together as they are apt to do..

as you rightly say.. these are killer colours.... also makes working with 3 phase all day a damn sight more depressing..

at least with the old colours you had a bright day.. :LOL:

Well I supppose all the 3 phasers can consider themselves luck we didn`t adopt Brown/Black/Black and they conceded on the grey instead !
PHEW!

I agree, not that i'm resistant to change. I just love coming across the (very) old red, white and blue cable (no cpc, of course!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back