light switch with extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HELP!!!!

I changed my sons light switch to a dimmer and also the bathroom switch. Everything worked fine for 1 week and now both switches are dead. A neighbour tried to help and messed around with the wires AND now im completely confused about what goes where......am i right in thinking that the following is correct? brown goes to L1, Black to L2 and grey to L3

My bathroom (extractor) switch has....
3 brown wires
1 black with a brown sleeve
1 grey with a blue sleeve

your advice would be much appriechiated!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What other cables do you have in the light switch?

The extractor switch should have an equal amount of conductors 2 x Live (Brown), 2 x Switched Live (Black/Brown) & 2 x Neutral (Grey/Blue)

I wouldn't be surprised if the fan has taken out your bathroom dimmer, can't speak for the bedroom one.

Some photos would be helpful I guess

wiring.jpg2.jpg

Thanks for your reply!

The photo is abit dark but I think you can make out all the wires.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
So thats's behind the fan switch and you have another switch for your lights, correct?

Your neighbour took off the fan switch? Or the dimmer?

Sorry that is the light switch. I presumed it worked off the same one as the extractor comes on when the light is on but that seems to be seperate. My neighbour has taken off the dimer switch and suggested I buy a one way switch. Which I did, but no luck!

OK that makes much more sense.

The grey goes into that connector with the blues, the black will go into L1 (Assuming your switch has COM & L1)

Then, the problem is, you need one brown into L1, and the other two into COM. The brown from the fan cable (grey, black & brown) should be easy to determine - put this into COM.

You are now left with two cables, the best way to work out which is which, is with a multimeter. But if you put them into the switch, one in COM and one in L1, then turn the power back on - if you have them the wrong way around the switch will just be upside down. If it's wrong, swap them around.

Hello,

I have a switch L1 and L2. I also bought one with L1 L3 (in) L2 L4 (out) no idea what these are.....I take it I need the one with COM and L1 or will any of those work?

lol I dont think I will bother with a dimmer again after this fiasco.....!

Ok L1 = COM and L2 = L1
With a 1 way switch it will work even if you get them the wrong way around (but your switch will be upside down)

The other switch sounds like an intermediate switch. Is that what is says on the packaging? You definitely don't want that.

:oops:no joy with that at all....thanks for helping me. ive got the grey in with the blues on the connector. The black and 1 brown in L2 and 2 browns in L1. I moved the browns around but still nothing! Im wondering if the bathroom light could be connected to my sons bedroom light in some way. Before it broke completely my sons light was putting on the bathroom light and vice versa for afew days. Just out of interest do you know what would cause that?

You have got the cables in the bedroom switch the wrong way around. Is that a normal one way switch as well? Does his light work ok?

Try turning his on, then the bathroom

The cables I told you about is the bathroom light. I went with your last directions for L1 and L2. Are those wrong?

the bedroom switch which is on the other side of the bathroom wall has 3 brown wires and 2 blue in a connector. That is a one way switch aswell (L1 and L2) that light is dead aswell. All other lights are fine in the house...thank god!

OK, to test what's going on, in your sons room, and the bathroom, put every brown into L1 (in the bathroom remove the 3 fan cables for now)

This should put both lights on permanently. If it doesn't you have a problem somewhere else.

Can I suggest a different neighbour next time?!

OK that makes much more sense.

You are now left with two cables, the best way to work out which is which, is with a multimeter. But if you put them into the switch, one in COM and one in L1, then turn the power back on - if you have them the wrong way around the switch will just be upside down. If it's wrong, swap them around.

No offence, but that sounds like a load of rubbish.

The only way that switch may work upside down is if you confuse L1 with L2. It makes no difference swapping the feed and load over, it does make a difference though whether you use com and L1 OR com and L2.

Also, the remaining two wires you speak of are the permanent live in, and the live to the light.

To clarify, this perm L has to go in the same terminal as the brown from the fan cable
and
the light L has to go in the remaining terminal as the black (sleeved brown) from the fan cable.

This 'guess and check' attitude to determine which wire is which may be ok for those who know what they are doing, but sadly very worrying for those who don't.

The neighbour runs evey time he sees me. I think hes thinking bugger off with your dodgy lights! :LOL:probably the same as you tonight!

Right, tried what you suggested and im still in the dark. So obviously a problem elsewhere:(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back