3 core & earth wiring colours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi what are the recommendations for wiring the above I have brown black grey if it were me it would be
brown = live
Black = neutral
Grey = switched live
But I’m not an electrician, should say this is in a domestic so I can drop a neutral from ceiling to switch

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Well, Brown is used for live.

The other two don't matter as they should be over-sleeved with Blue if neutral and Brown if switched live.

Some say it would be good if Grey was used for neutral but there is no ruling and it should be sleeved with the appropriate colour anyway or identified in another way so it doesn't matter.

Sponsored Links
For the amount I would use I will go down the tape route, I know it was a stupid question after I posted it as I have always used earth sleeving but didn’t know if this was the same or had to be heatshrink to be a permanent fix
Thanks

For the amount I would use I will go down the tape route, I know it was a stupid question after I posted it as I have always used earth sleeving but didn’t know if this was the same or had to be heatshrink to be a permanent fix
Thanks
NO NO NO. That was not a stupid question.

Little ditties of information like this every so often is useful of a forum of this type. We frequently comment wires should be identified when we see pictures but we often fail to mention how.

NO NO NO. That was not a stupid question.

Little ditties of information like this every so often is useful of a forum of this type. We frequently comment wires should be identified when we see pictures but we often fail to mention how.
In fact, no matter how basic the subject or how obvious the answer, asking advice for something one doesn't know is never stupid and far better than getting something wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back