3 core flex spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two powered speakers that I want to place in the corners of my living room. I have double sockets located where each speaker will go. As the room has not been plastered yet I would like to run a short length of 3 core flex from each socket to each speaker. Is this acceptable or do the sockets need to be changed for fused spurs??

Sponsored Links
Dont use flex, unless it will terminate in a plug , in which case it could be in a pipe or conduit plastered over into the wall for the purpose. Otherwise twin and earth is the right stuff to use, and by the time it reaches the speakers it needs a fuse, so either fused spur, or a plug and socket at the speaker position.

What's wrong with using a plug?

If they are plugged in you'll be able to move them around for cleaning (walls/floor I mean, not the speakers), new floorcoverings, wallcoverings, other decorating, room layout changes. If permanently wired in, you won't be able to easily do any of those things.

Aso, beware of having the flex too short - have you done listening tests to establish the best positions for the speakers?

nothing, except I think that he wants to plaster the cable in, in which case flex isn't really quite the right stuff.

Sponsored Links
<sound of penny dropping>

These speakers are going up high, fixed to the wall aren't they, not standing on the floor in the vicinity of the existing sockets.....

Dunny - add a switched FCU in line with the sockets and in line with the speaker. Ideally put the FCU directly onto the ring rather than spurring off the socket.

Run T/E cable from there, vertically, to a flex outlet plate behind the speaker.

Sorry for the delay in replying, been away for a little while. The speakers are actually floor standing but girlfriend doesnt want to see the plug and cable feeding them. I guess I could put in a fused spur and run 3 core flex in some trunking to floor and under carpet terminating at the speaker? Cant think why this wouldnt be acceptable but sure you guys will tell me if it isnt!!

Cheers

Good point. In trunking to floor and run above carpet?

dunny said:
Good point. In trunking to floor and run above carpet?
I'm losing the plot, here...
dunny said:
I have double sockets located where each speaker will go.
Presumably these sockets are in more-or-less conventional positions more-or-less at floor level?

Why does the flex from a plug plugged into one need concealing for its short drop down to the floor?

And what about the signal cables - what do you plan to do regarding those?

B-A-S. The sockets are in the normal positins i.e. approx 18 inches from the floor. Only reason for hiding cables is for aesthetic purposes as requested by my girlfriend. The signal cables will run under the carpet back to an amp in the corner of the room. There is quite a lot of cabling as its a Bang and Olufsen system that requires masterlink cable to all of the other outlets it will support (e.g. kitchen, bathroom etc).

If you want my advice, I'd start a new thread with exactly the same question, we all agree to reply saying you can't do it, you show that new thread to your girlfriend and then she gives you some peace :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back